Before doing anything further, if you have not already done so, you should back up
all your important documents, personal data files and photos to a CD or DVD drive as some infections may render your computer unbootable during or before the disinfection process
. If that occurs there may be no option but to reformat
and reinstall the OS or perform a full system recovery. The safest practice is not to backup
any files with the following file extensions: exe, .scr, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.
Please follow these instructions: How to remove Google Redirects or the TDSS, TDL3, Alureon rootkit using TDSSKiller
-- If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it. To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extensio, please refer to these instructions. In some cases it may be necessary to redownload TDSSKiller and randomly rename it before downloading and saving to the computer or to perform the scan in "safe mode".-- For any files detected as 'Suspicious' (except those identified as Forged to be cured after reboot) get a second opinion by submitting to Jotti's virusscan or VirusTotal. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.Step 7
- Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
- When the program opens, click the Start Scan button.
- Any objects found, will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
- If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure...do not change it.
- Click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.<- Important!!
- If 'Suspicious' objects are detected, you will be given the option to Skip or Quarantine. Skip will be the default selection. Leave it as such for now.
- A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
- Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.
instructs you to scan your computer using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
. Don't forget to check for database definition updates
through the program's interface (preferable method
) before scanning.
Malwarebytes may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs
or permit them to allow
Note: If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.
- After completing the scan, a log report will open in Notepad.
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab .
- Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
- Exit Malwarebytes when done.
-- Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If that's the case, please refer to the suggestions provided in For those having trouble running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
as you may need to rename it or use RKill
by Grinler.Important Note
: Some infections will alter the Proxy settings
in Internet Explorer which can affect your ability to browse, update or download tools required for disinfection. If you are experiencing such a problem, check those settings. To do that, please refer to Steps 4-7
under the section Automated Removal Instructions
in this guide
Alternatively, you can press the WINKEY + R
keys on your keyboard or click
, and in the Open dialog box, type: inetcpl.cpl
or press Enter
. Click the Connections
tab and continue following the instructions in the above guide.
If using FireFox, refer to these instructions
to check and configure Proxy Settings under the Connection Settings Dialog