Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery Low Windows 98

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sheeba

Sheeba

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:42 PM

Hi guys! I've had my computer for nearly 10 years and it's only just started to give me problems - howzat?!! When I turn it on, it starts to boot up, then I get a message in a highlighted box which says Batter Low. I've looked everywhere in help to try to find out what this means and how to make a difference. I've changed my 'suspension' settings and screen saver, but I still have the same problem. I'm worried that if I don't do something soon my computer will eventually not start up at all.
Please help!
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:13 PM

Hello Sheeba and welcome to BC.

Sounds like your CMOS Battery needs replacing. Is the clock in your computer running slow or otherwise wrong? They cost about 5 dollars and can be gotten at most electronic stores. Have a look at How To Replace The CMOS Battery In Your PC. They mention booting your PC and entering its setup mode and writing down all of the settings from the various BIOS menus. I wouldn't worry about doing that. You need to look at the number on the battery to purchase a replacement (usually its a 2032) and then just remove the old one and put in the new one. Its best to leave the old one in until you can swap it out for the new one.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Sheeba

Sheeba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 06:20 PM

:thumbsup:
Wow! Thanks so much for that - I will give it a go!!! Yes, when I start up again the clock has not moved and the date is the last date I used the computer, so sounds like this is definitely the problems. Thanks once again my friend!

#4 Sheeba

Sheeba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 06:48 PM

trying

Edited by Sheeba, 13 January 2006 - 06:50 PM.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:32 AM

As I mentioned earlier, its not really neccessary to write down the bios settings. For one thing, there are too many of them.

To access the Bios watch for "Press Del to enter setup" and do that. If there is a problem booting, go into the Bios and look for "Reset Bios Defaults", select that. Look for "Auto Detect Hard Drives" and do that then press Esc and then F10 to save the changes and exit.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users