OK... All seems to be fixed now.
I searched the internet about the printer spool issue and downloaded a file from microsoft.com called Cleanspl.exe which cleans up the print spooler but it did not help. Yesterday besides running mbam, I thought I had run combofix but I had not. Last ditch effort this morning after hpbdfawep.exe was all of a sudden using 50% of my cpu, I ran combofix again... or so I thought. As it progressed and installed the recovery console I realized that it did not run yesterday. I let it do its thing and now I can install a printer so all seems to be back to normal. Thanks for the help that would have been offered.
Sorry I went to run combofix on my own. I am very thankful for that program and for those that wrote it.
Edited by gwoiler, 18 July 2011 - 11:47 AM.