Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Upgrade From Windows Vista Ult 'OEM' to Windows 7 Ult 'retail'!!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BigTim

BigTim

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

I've been trying on and off for a good few weeks in vain to upgrade my OS. :killcomp: I'm running 'OEM' Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit Edition, and I'm trying to upgrade it to 'Retail' Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit edition. Now, the fact that Vista is 'OEM' and W7 is 'Retail' shouldn't make a blind bit of difference, so I'm told off various different friends and acquaintences. I've tried 7 times to upgrade, I've even thrown in an extra 2Gb of RAM - NOTHING!!! It goes right through the upgrade then just as it restarts itself for the 1st time, it rolls back to Vista and displays a message which reads 'Windows Cannot be Upgraded at this time..." :angry: :blink: What now?

Thanx in advance

Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

Instead of upgrading, you can do a clean install of Win7.

Also, run the Windows Upgrade Advisorto make sure your system is ready for Win7.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd446674(WS.10).aspx , see comments by Eeowolf re licensing.

Louis

#4 BigTim

BigTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:04 PM

OK! :wink: So basically, it only the Enterprise Edition that'll do an upgrade? Well I'll keep you informed, I'll get a disk from work, an try it out!
As for me doing a clean install - yea a could but to much messing around wirth reinstallations an data movement - 6Tb worth!??? Nah didn't think so!

Wish me luck with the upg...

Thanx again for the help.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:45 AM

<<So basically, it only the Enterprise Edition that'll do an upgrade?>>

Not at all, the way that I interpret what is there.

<<Now, the fact that Vista is 'OEM' and W7 is 'Retail' shouldn't make a blind bit of difference.>>

Well...it makes a difference to Microsoft :), even if not to you.

An OEM license tied to a system put together by an OEM (HP, Lenovo, eMachines, et alia)...cannot be used to "upgrade" a system with a retail version upgrade install.

Per http://www.pcworld.com/article/174710/microsoft_says_windows_7_install_workaround_is_legal.html : ,

"On PCs purchased with Windows XP or Vista preinstalled by the computer maker -- which slap an "OEM" license of Windows on the machine -- users can install a Windows 7 upgrade edition on that system's blank hard drive, but on no other, Ligman added."

OEM systems have theeir own upgrade options, for those who do not want to do a clean install.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2011 - 10:47 AM.

#6 BigTim

BigTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

Aye OK! So... now what? Bottom Line - I do not want to do a 'clean install' - I want 'Upgrade'. I tried to Upgrade using a Retail 32bit Edition of W7-Ultimate. When a ran it, it tried to upgrade from 32bit Edition of Vista Ultimate but when on the 100% Complete then reboot - It rolled back to Vista with out reason!!! Just said it could continue... I'm baffled, but again, the bottom line is - IM NOT DOING A CLEAN INSTALL, IM GONNA UPGRADE. There's gotta be a reason for this problem to have arisen an it must be fixable so, help me boys an girls!!! :clapping::thumbup2:

Thanx in advance

Tim

#7 BigTim

BigTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

PS, I'm not shouting, just illustrating a point. I bought both of these OS's from a shop, paid in cash.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

I, and others, have explained it as best as we understand it.

FWIW: No one "buys an O/S" from Microsoft...only a particular type of license to use a given version of Windows. The terms of that license dictate what is possible regarding moving to a different O/S from Microsoft.

I suggest that you contact the vendor who supplied your system.

Louis

#9 BigTim

BigTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:22 PM

Hmmmmm it would seem so... yep I'm aware I purchased a license, I was just speaking in general lamens terms sir! :wink:
Not to worry, I'll nail it down an then you'll be the first to know how I did it!:busy:

#10 BigTim

BigTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:14 AM

Who am I kidding? I've tried all sorts of ways to upgrade from Vista to W7 and STILL it rolls back to vista! I even took out my soundcard (Soundblaster Audigy) and uninstalled the drivers, reverted the display driver back to the Microsoft Standard VGA driver and alas... Rolls back to vista!? I'm really confused...:mellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users