Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition removal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mystic Knight

Mystic Knight

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:51 AM

I popped in a second 500gig hard drive that have a unregistered version of vista on it. I need to remove that partition that vista is sitting behind so I can get ride of that lil blue star that says "You may be a victim of counterfeiting". I know there is a partition there and the space it is saving is about 4 gigs. any Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:40 AM

System manufacturer and model?

<<...so I can get ride of that lil blue star that says "You may be a victim of counterfeiting">>

Why don't you start at the beginning...and tell us more about this message? As stated, I have no idea what you are referring to.

FWIW: If your system is a laptop or some other system from a manufacturer such as Dell, HP, etc...it's dangerous to remove partitions which came preinstalled, since they may be necessary/vital for boot or restore/recovery purposes.

Louis

If you can post a screen shot from Disk Management (Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter), that may help us visualize your current setup.

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2011 - 08:41 AM.

#3 Mystic Knight

Mystic Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:46 AM

Speccy report
Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 48 °C
Brisbane 65nm Technology
RAM
2.5GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 245MHz (4-4-4-12)
Motherboard
FOXCONN M61PMV (AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+) 40 °C
Graphics
X193W (1440x900@75Hz)
512MB GeForce 8400 GS (XFX Pine Group) 59 °C
Hard Drives
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-22A7B0 (SATA) 42 °C
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-22A7B0 (SATA) 40 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS15
Audio
VIA High Definition Audio

The second hd I put in had an unregistered version of Vista on it. When I formatted it, with XP (my os)it didn't remove the partition (4 gigs) and that is what the start is mad at. I need to remove the partition so I can get rid of the protected stuff on the other side of the partition. disk E is the one I added
Posted Image
sorry its a crappy quality

EDIT 2
OK so I did some more research at Acronis.... and I'm guessing its a disk image of visa behind the partition. Why didn't my format remove it and format behind it? How can I get rid of that partition and reformat?

Edited by Mystic Knight, 17 July 2011 - 11:08 AM.

#4 Mystic Knight

Mystic Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:20 PM

PS the second hard drive "drive E" I pulled out of a sister machine to the one speccy'ed.

acronis tech support

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Bishwajit Choudhary.
Bishwajit Choudhary: Hello Mike. Thank you for contacting Acronis Customer Central. My name is Bishwajit and I will be happy to assist you. Please allow me 1-2 minutes to review your message.
Bishwajit Choudhary: Thank you for your patience.
Bishwajit Choudhary: I have read your query, however I need some additional information to get a better understanding of the issue. Would it be fine, if I ask you a couple of questions to gather more information around this, in order to provide you an accurate resolution for your issue?
Mike Bender: go ahead
Bishwajit Choudhary: Please elaborate when you say removing the partition. Do you want to take a backup of it and restore to some other partition before formatting the hard drive?
Mike Bender: Its on a second harddrive that I pulled out of a sister machine. It a partition that is protecting a unregistered version of vista. I don't need the OS... just the space
Mike Bender: I can send you a like of a screan shot of the disk management
Bishwajit Choudhary: Do you have any Acronis product or you are interested in using the products?
Mike Bender: no I picked up the two computers second hand..... it is your software however. and I want to get rid of your partition
Mike Bender: a normal format didn't remove it
Bishwajit Choudhary: May I get the serial key for the software?
Mike Bender: I don't have it.....
Bishwajit Choudhary: Okay.
Mike Bender: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/Sng_Bear/diskconfig2.jpg (its a like to the screen shot, at photobucket)
Bishwajit Choudhary: But please understand that in order to assist you with this issue we will need the proof of purchase like serial key, order ID, e-mail address with which the product is registered, e-mail address with which the product is purchased, scanned copy of Invoice.
Mike Bender: its a second hand hard drive... it didn't install the partition.... or the software used...... how can I give you and any of that? all I want to do is remove that partition... not rocket science.
Bishwajit Choudhary: If you are using any Acronis product then I will need the proof of purchase to check if you have valid support program in order to assist you.
Bishwajit Choudhary: If you do no have an Acronis software and you want us to recommend one of the software let me know I will provide you the details about it.
Mike Bender: its your partition why can you tell me how to remove it?
Bishwajit Choudhary: Are you using any Acronis software and if you are provide me the proof of purchase. If you are not using our software let me know if you want us to suggest one to you.
Mike Bender: so you want me to pay for software to remove your software that is one my computer that I didn't put there and don't want.
Mike Bender: that is called extortion.... just so you know....and really pisses me off
Bishwajit Choudhary: All I want is the details of the software which is installed on the computer as in proof of purchase so that we can check the Acronis product is under the valid support program.
Mike Bender: I DON'T HAVE THAT . how many times do I have to say that IT IS A SECOND HAND HARD DRIVE. one I bought at a second internal and formatted but you partition and the disk image behind it are still there..
Bishwajit Choudhary: In this case I regret to inform you that I will not be able to assist you.
Mike Bender: so you are saying you are not responsible for your own software?

Edited by Mystic Knight, 17 July 2011 - 02:00 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

Formatting...doesn't have the power to overwrite certain types of partitions.

Those partitions must first be deleted...before formatting/ creating a new partition.

Alternatively...you can try something like EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition freeware. - http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm to delete the partition...and then change the size of your Windows partition to include the additional space.

Louis

#6 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:29 PM

If that is an Acronis Backup, it is probably in the Acronis Secure Zone, which windows cannot access. If that is the case, you have to use Acronis, and manage the secure zone option to remove it.

You could d/l Acronis Trial Version (full functionality except backup and a couple other things, but should be able to delete that secure zone & give space back to the drive.

Edited by USN Vet, 17 July 2011 - 09:37 PM.

Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users