Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting 2 Win 7 computers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 greatchap

greatchap

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:25 AM

Hi Guys,

I have a few laptops at home and one desktop. I also have a work laptop which I carry to work every day. Now I have a lan at home. The computers are connected through a wireless router though my pc is connected through a lan cable. We are able to share files and content.

I sometimes connect my office laptop at home. Though the laptop connects to the network but I am unable to transfer or share files to other computers running Windows Vista/7. After a bit of research I figured this is because the workgroup name of my office laptop is different than the systems at home. I dont want to change the workgroup name of my office laptop as it will create problems at work.

How can I connected my office laptop to the network and transfer files if the workgroup name is different? It does show names of computers on network but when I try to connect a username & password box pops up.

I will be glad if anyone can advice me.

Thanks,
GR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:05 AM

Is your office laptop on a domain or a workgroup? I assume you have a username/password combo on your work laptop, what about on the others? The problem is simply a user/password issue which can be got around. Depending on where you copy from & to you could just create user accounts on the other PC's with all matching usernames & passwords. Alternatively, just enter the relevant logon details when prompted to do so. Really depends on which machine you do the copying to & from...

#3 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:13 AM

Is your office laptop on a domain or a workgroup? I assume you have a username/password combo on your work laptop, what about on the others? The problem is simply a user/password issue which can be got around. Depending on where you copy from & to you could just create user accounts on the other PC's with all matching usernames & passwords. Alternatively, just enter the relevant logon details when prompted to do so. Really depends on which machine you do the copying to & from...

My work laptop belongs to a different workgroup. THe laptops at my home belongs to a different workgroup. I do not want to change the workgroup name of my work laptop. On the other hand my home desktop pc is able to see public folders of computers running WIn 7. But neither can I access shared folder of my work laptop & nor can my work laptop access public folders of my Win 7 systems. Putting in UN&PW does not help either. And my work laptop is able to work fine with machines at my workplace. Is this because of a diff work group name.

#4 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:45 AM

When you type in the username & password you need to specify the local PC name as well, for example if your PC is called 'computer'1 and your user is 'user1', you would specify 'computer1\user1' as the username. Does that help at all? Have you tried browsing the Public shares or are these shares you have manually created yourself?

#5 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:03 AM

I have a similar situation with a bit of a twist. My work laptop can access shares on my local network UNTIL I connect to the work domain via a VPN. At that point I am prevented by the VPN to access the shares on my local network. The way I got around that which would also work for you was to create a free DropBox account. With DropBox any files I move to my DropBox folder automatically get synced to any other device I have setup with DropBox. The devices just need an internet connection, they don't need to be on the same network. I can even move files between my PCs and my Android phone.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#6 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

It is not working. I tried putting : LaptopName\AccountName and password still it does not connect. On the other hand it connects to another laptop with same workgroup name. I think a different workgroup name is creating a problem. What do I do?

#7 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

It is not working. I tried putting : LaptopName\AccountName and password still it does not connect. On the other hand it connects to another laptop with same workgroup name. I think a different workgroup name is creating a problem. What do I do?

#8 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

Sorry about the blank reply, would not let me type anything!

When you specified 'laptopname\accountname', were you connecting from a PC? If your connecting TO the laptop FROM a PC, you need to specify that format and if you connect TO a PC from the LAPTOP, you would use 'pcname\accountname'. Just wanted to make sure you are using the credentials in the right way. You can have different workgroup names and still do this, it's just simply an authentication problem.

#9 greatchap

greatchap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:55 PM

I am sorry for late reply. But it is not working. Even if I type the connecting machine's info, it still prompts for UN & PW.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users