Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not post/boot/screen lightup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Flexmen

Flexmen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:47 AM

So i recently bought a new hard drive for my Gateway Nv52 laptop ( got in june 2009). i ordered the factory discs so i can reinstall to factory defaults. so after those came in the mail i started to put the new hard drive in and it showed the gateway logo on startup and i put recovery cd in and started that and completed the recovery. i then went on to download windows updates and remove useless programs and turned computer off after i was done. Then i went to bed. My brother said that he went on it later and was working fine until he left it idle for 30mins - 2 hrs and when he came back the screen was black and he tried to reboot it and it wouldnt work. now i found something on gateways site that said if the laptop is left idle the screen will go black. link here: Gateway site

Im not sure what to do now. when i turn the computer on the screen doesnt come on, the HDD lights are not flickering, i hear the fans running and cd drive is spinning, i press caps lock and light doesnt show. i press the touchpad things for volume and stuff and they light up. ive tried removing each stick of RAM and booting to see if one of them was bad, i tried holding power button for 30secs -1min with battery out and ac unplugged. Im not sure what to do from here. Should i take it to geek squad? im clueless dunno whats wrong with it.

Edited by Flexmen, 17 July 2011 - 04:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

Hi Flexmen :)

It is certainly indicating a hardware fault, and a bit of a worrying one at that. You have tried very sensible options up to now.

a couple of extra things to try are removing the hard drive again, then it is removed from the equation along with everything on the drive.
It will not do any harm to remove the wireless card if you can, and disconnect any external devices like mouse, printer etc (which im sure you have already).

Your aim should be to see any type of life on the screen, namely the POST screen that gives you the option to enter the BIOS etc.

I would then,

Power up the laptop and see if you now seee the POST screen.

If still no joy, attach an external desktop monitor to it and try again, if it works it is indicating a problem with the laptop LCD or LCD connections.
If it still shows no life on the external monitor, then it is indicating a problem with the Graphics chip or motherboard I am afraid.

Good Luck,
jodav :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users