Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Desktop, can't browse files, but they are "there"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Anahera

Anahera

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:38 AM

I am on a Vista computer that will not boot up all the way. I guess.
I get to the desktop, though it's blank. There ARE programs in the system tray, I can use programs.
I can even get on the 'net. I use the search box to start what programs I remember. Like notepad, chrome, etc.
But when I explore the drive, there's nothing there to explore. I have two files there (one of which I created tonight). BOOTSECT.BAK and (the one I created tonight) bcd_backup

When I do an AVG scan, it finds nothing, but I see it going through all the files on the disk, so I know they are still "there"

I'm using the computer now, to write this (using chrome).

I've tried cmd and from a command window, went to c:\ dir and there was the same two files there. However, I can change directories to other directories I know are there. However, dir shows me nothing. I did however get a dir listing in \windows. Shows me 17 files and 5 directories.

In computer management, Storage > Disk Management, I have the C: listed, status is Heathy (system, boot, page file, active, crash dump, primary partition)

I've put in the Vista Home Premium install disk and rebooted, went to the repair option, but says there's nothing to repair.

I'm really at a loss here, everything seems to be pointing to the fact that the OS is healthy, when obviously it is not.

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2011 - 07:20 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:06 AM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

Let's see, if we can recover your missing features.
Download and run UnHide
Let me know, if it worked.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Anahera

Anahera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

Thanks for the link! I finally figured out what happened. Some virus, trojan and or scarware crap put +h on all files and folders. I went to folder options and selected 'show all hidden files and folders' and they were there again. I hadn't gotten around to fixing the attributes though, so this lil program will be very useful! I'm not sure exactly what the culprit was, AVG cleaned off a few things, as did MBAM. Whatever it was also disabled the task manager and I had to delete an entry in the registry to fix that. Seems everything is back to normal - but watching it closely!

Thanks!

Kim

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:25 PM

I suggest we run some additional scans.
Let me know.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users