Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN Issues on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chronix3

Chronix3

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:49 PM

Hey,

I need to access a Windows 7 machine from a remote site (client computers are using Vista/W7) but cannot get this set up right.

I've followed the tutorial here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/210562/how_to_set_up_vpn_in_windows_7.html

Which is pretty much the same tutorial suggested on many websites but upon setting this up I come across two issues:

- The client computer loses its internet connection (tried disabling the "Use default gateway on remote network" to allow Split Tunnelling but this did not work either.. I got the taskbar icon to light up as if it were connected to the client computer's network but none of the browsers worked and they all returned an "unable to connect to the internet" error)

- The client computer cannot view any of the host computer's files.. I'm not sure how to open up "the window" that shows the host's shared files on the client.

Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

I did not know you could setup an incoming VPN connection right through Windows 7. That said, it doesn't appear to be the best implementation as I had problems trying it, too. Kept getting errors when trying to connect.

You might want to look into third-party solutions such as LogMeIn Hamachi or maybe setting it up as an SSH server (and connecting using something like WinSCP).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users