Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recover on xp, files are missing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 genoxano

genoxano

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

I had malware/fraud xp repair on my xp laptop and my tax turbo tax programs and grandkids pictures went missing as well as almost all programs. I was going to open in safemode after running malware program and hit f-11(recover) in error. laptop runs great again but I would love to get Turbo Tax , programs, spreadsheets and pictures back. I run search and it appears the tax programs are somewhere but I can't open the programs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

Hello and welcome. I moved this from XP to Am I Infected.

This infection family will also hide all the files on your computer from being seen. To make your files visible again, please download the following program to your desktop:

[url="http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exe"]Unhide.exe[/url]

Once the program has been downloaded, double-click on the Unhide.exe icon on your desktop and allow the program to run. This program will remove the +H, or hidden, attribute from all the files on your hard drives. If there are any files that were purposely hidden by you, you will need to hide them again after this tool is run.

If this infection changes your desktop background to a solid black color, we now want to change it back to the default Windows theme or to modify it to your preferences. If you are using Windows XP, please click on the Start button and then select Control Panel. When the Control Panel opens, please click on the Display icon. From this screen you can now change your Theme and desktop background so that it no longer shows the black background.

If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, please click on the Start button and then select Control Panel. When the Control Panel opens, please click on the Appearance and Personalization category. Then select Change the Theme or Change Desktop Background to revert back to your original Theme and colors.

Edited by boopme, 16 July 2011 - 06:44 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users