Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows live mail "eats" my emails (not the "hidden images" issue)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 drkknght

drkknght

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

I'm running windows 7 on a 1 year old PC, and use windows live mail as my mail program of choice. oddly enough, WLM sometimes eats my emails, only showing a portion of them. this is NOT the issue where images are hidden: more often than not, it's the text or body of the email. and they can be from any number of sources; personal emails from regular contacts, or even the generic group messages, like from twitter and facebook.

Posted Image

that's how they look, whether i view them inside the program or double click on them to have their own window. however, the emails come through fine via webmail or my phone, just not in WLM, where the text is hidden.

any ideas...?

if it helps trigger any ideas, this seems to happen to specific addresses (like, all twitter emails, or all emails from my friend karl) instead of just every email.

Edited by hamluis, 26 July 2011 - 07:17 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drkknght

drkknght
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

no fellow email-eaters out there, hm? :blink:

#3 drkknght

drkknght
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:07 AM

is there maybe a better / more specific source i should be checking? i'm open to anything here :(

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

Have you tried forwarding the message/s to another email. Then viewed them as web mail in your browser to see that it is in fact the Windows Live client 'eating' them. Making sure it is not happening at the mail server before getting to you?

Just thinking out loud here...

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 drkknght

drkknght
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

heya animal, thanks for the response.

yeah, i've checked :( they come through fine on my iPhone, as well as through webmail

its a few different accounts, some are gmail, some are just hosted through different servers, etc, and each respective website sees the emails correctly. in fact, even if i check the emails through outlook express on my other laptop, they look correct. it's only when viewing them on my home desktop with WLM that they're eaten.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:45 PM

Unfortunately I don't have, use or have knowledge of WLM. That was my one suggestion. Hopefully someone else who has experience with WLM can offer other ideas.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 drkknght

drkknght
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

thanks anyway, animal :(

to be honest, i haven't even been able to find this problem elsewhere across the interwebs in google searches. i still don't even know the best way to define what the actual problem is -- "eats" can't be a very technical term :)

am i in the right place, at least? i've used bleepingcomputers.com before to fight off malware (and awesomely, i might add) but this is something new all together for me.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:04 AM

Let me ask some of our other staff and see if they have encountered anything like this. Might be a day or so before I have anything to report.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 drkknght

drkknght
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

an answer or no, can't thank you enough for the effort, animal! :)

#10 drkknght

drkknght
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

heya animal - any luck on this, the oddest of all problems?

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:19 PM

Perchance, is the text hidden under the image? Can you change the settings so that images are not shown in the text area but rather are attached?

What happens if you change how you view the message to text only, provided that is an option in Windows Live Mail, which I have never used.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#12 drkknght

drkknght
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:08 AM

heya OB - thanks for the response

unfortunately, the issue persists even in cases where the note is only text (or only images). continues to be the most confusing and frustrating issue i've had yet! <_<

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

This may seem rather drastic, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Live Messenger?

Have you tried viewing these e-mail messages with Windows Live Messenger on a different computer to see if the problem is replicated there?

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#14 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

Perhaps firewall or the browser is blocking iFrames, which sometimes are used in various web mails. iFrames are dangerous and usually useless things, but if a web mail insists to use them, one might have to.

I don't use Windows Live Mail, so this is pure speculation.

I found messages received fine in Outlook, but invisible in my ISP's web mail because the content was in iFrame which I block. When I permitted it, I could then see the content.

Also I just googled this out:
http://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/post/3219/do-iframes-work-in-email/

Edited by tos226, 21 August 2011 - 03:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users