Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Win7 pc setup/repair/recovery options

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Raprider

Raprider

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:27 AM

Hi all! Just received my new Dell Inspiron 620 yesterday and am working thru setup options.
One of the first things on my list is making sure I have the appropriate repair/recovery prep in hand for the inevitable ;)
All that came with the pc was a Drivers and Utilities cd.
So far, I have created a Repair Disk...do I also want/need to create a System Image?
What will this do for me?

I've only created the Administrator acct at this point, but will need to create at least one User acct for lovely wife (and it seems I should also be creating one for myself as well, and not using the Admin acct, from some things I've read).

Other setup tips and advice is greatly appreciated, as I've gotten quite a bit of great help from the fine folks here in the past.

Thanks for your help,
Rap

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

Yes, creating a regular system image backup is a good idea (I backup weekly), and Windows 7 makes it very easy: How To Use Backup and Restore in Windows 7 :)

A laptop hard drive crashed the other day at work, and the owner is having to pay out the wazoo for data recovery services because she never backed anything up. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security just because everything seems to be working. You never know when the next hard drive crash, power surge, virus, etc. will catch you off guard and bork your system.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 16 July 2011 - 05:44 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Raprider

Raprider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

Thanks, KeyboardNinja! I have an external hard drive on the way so will initiate system image and backup asap.

Anyplace you can point me for a good Win7 overview/tutorial?

Rap

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

You're welcome! :)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/what-is
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer