Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With G3 and Printing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 XuzI

XuzI

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:08 AM

Hello. I have an iMac g3 running OS 9.2.2. I have connected a LaserWriter Select360 to a DIN-8 to USB adapter, and plugged it in. When I start up my mac, I get the message "Cannot find driver, search internet?". I click yes, and it tried to find a driver but after about 3 minutes it gives me the error: "Software Updater was not able to connect to the internet. Please check your configuration and try again."

I close out, and I try to print something, and after choosing "LaserWriter 8" in the chooser, I press print, and get the error "The Finder needs your attention." I go to the finder and then it says "The File will be moved to the trash because no desktop printer exists for this spool file."

Can someone please help me? I really want to use my printer for my g3. I also tried using the printer on OSX 10.3.9, but no luck either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:26 AM

This is a link to a couple of tables that explain what drivers work with what OS.

Not sure if it will be of any help, but there's some discussion here that might lead somewhere.

That's for the OS9 side. For the OSX side, this says the driver is already included in the OS, so you shouldn't need anything more.

Are you sure the printer works? I ask because of the OSX part of the equation.

That's the best help I can give. I'm not really a Mac user, even though I have 3 in the house. My wife uses one, my son used to use one, and I have one I alternate with linux and OSX when I need to test things before putting them on the wife's machine.

#3 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

This is a link to a couple of tables that explain what drivers work with what OS.

Not sure if it will be of any help, but there's some discussion here that might lead somewhere.

That's for the OS9 side. For the OSX side, this says the driver is already included in the OS, so you shouldn't need anything more.

Are you sure the printer works? I ask because of the OSX part of the equation.

That's the best help I can give. I'm not really a Mac user, even though I have 3 in the house. My wife uses one, my son used to use one, and I have one I alternate with linux and OSX when I need to test things before putting them on the wife's machine.

Hi.

Oh yes, the printer works excellent. It worked for my old 1991 Macintosh Classic, so I bought the adapter to use it on the g3.

As of now I have the "Laser Prep" file, but I don't know where to put it, or if I need more files.

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

I don't know what that file is. But if it's a .ppd file, this should tell you where it goes. If it's not in .ppd format, is it perchance a compressed file that has the .ppd inside? Doesn't Apple explain what to do with the files they supply? I'd think they would somewhere.

It's been some time, but I remember once I had to install Ghostscript to get a printer to work on the wife's Mac. I don't know, but that may be what you'll need. More information can be found at this link.

I'm all out of ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users