Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios is Password Protected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VParadox

VParadox

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:54 AM

RE:Vista Home Premium 32bit W/sp2 installed.
I was wondering if there is any way to bypass the password to get into the BIOS screen on startup. I never set a password on this computer for accessing the BIOS. I recently had the hard drive replaced and a complete vista install. I have since purchased a Vista System Recovery Disk and should I need to use it at some time I will need to go into the Bios and set the computer to BOOT from the CD-ROM drive first. When I try to open the Bios I get asked for a password. As far as I know a password was never set on this system at least not by me. I would'nt know why the tech who installed my hard drive would have locked the Bios with a password but I guess its possible. If someone would shed some light on this for me I would really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:05 AM

I would contact the technician that worked on your computer and see why they set a password.

#3 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:54 AM

Try removing the small round CMOS battery from the motherboard, give it 10 seconds or so and pop it back in again, hopefuly that will reset your BIOS settings to default with no password. It is important for this to work that you do not have the computer plugged in to an AC socket whilst doing this, otherwise the CMOS will still have power supplying it and so not reset the BIOS settings (if it is a laptop remove the main battery also).

Good Luck,
jodav :)

Edited by jodav, 16 July 2011 - 01:56 AM.

#4 VParadox

VParadox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for the reply from both of you. I will wait until I can talk with the tech who serviced my computer to see whats up with this issue. If he did'nt set the password I believe I'll take jodav's advice and reset it to its default setting. Thanks again.:thumbup2:

#5 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:21 AM

Your Welcome VParadox.

jodav :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users