Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard is Jiggy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

Am now dealing with a keyboard problem that started this afternoon. I am having to use a virtual on screen keyboard to type tnis! Peck, peck, peck.

Took forever to get logged back into Windows after I had to restart the computer when I uninstalled and reinstalled the keyboard driver (troubleshooting that was no help at all btw). Because one of the keys I use in my password is unavailable/won't type. I just kept at it until it typed.

Ran scan with MSE and no viruses. Not all keys are showing up on screen when I type (on laptop keyboard). Won't type 5 or 6 letter that I k now of. No filter key is on that i can tell. Anything else I can check? Thanks.

I wonder if this has anything to do with that weird incident yesterday when I was trying to uninstall some Hewlett Packard software and the revo uninstaller went insane...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:29 AM

Try the keyboard on another computer?

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:44 AM

Am now dealing with a keyboard problem that started this afternoon. I am having to use a virtual on screen keyboard to type tnis! Peck, peck, peck.

Took forever to get logged back into Windows after I had to restart the computer when I uninstalled and reinstalled the keyboard driver (troubleshooting that was no help at all btw). Because one of the keys I use in my password is unavailable/won't type. I just kept at it until it typed.

Ran scan with MSE and no viruses. Not all keys are showing up on screen when I type (on laptop keyboard). Won't type 5 or 6 letter that I k now of. No filter key is on that i can tell. Anything else I can check? Thanks.

I wonder if this has anything to do with that weird incident yesterday when I was trying to uninstall some Hewlett Packard software and the revo uninstaller went insane...

on what I bold...
what button/keys that unavailable/won't type? does it something like this ~!@#$%^&*()_+
if yes you need to press shift button on your virtual keyboard...
honestly...I always use virtual keyboard to log in to anything...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:58 AM

Thanks. I don't have another keyboard or another computer. This is a laptop w/ a built-in keyboard. The keys that do not type (nothing happens when I hit them) are: a, s, b, the 'period' and a few others. Everything else works just fine. There are short periods when all the keys work. If I use the virtual keyboard, everything types in just fine. See original post for the things I have already tried.

Btw, is there a way to access the on screen keyboard when I am logged off Windows? I am going to need to start/restart during troubleshooting, and some of the letters I am going to need to log on won't be available/working.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

on what I bold...
what button/keys that unavailable/won't type? does it something like this ~!@#$%^&*()_+

There are no security benefits to using the virtual keyboard, because key loggers can be designed to take screen caps as you type on the on screen keyboard to get your username and password.

Thanks. I don't have another keyboard or another computer. This is a laptop w/ a built-in keyboard. The keys that do not type (nothing happens when I hit them) are: a, s, b, the 'period' and a few others. Everything else works just fine. There are short periods when all the keys work. If I use the virtual keyboard, everything types in just fine. See original post for the things I have already tried.

Btw, is there a way to access the on screen keyboard when I am logged off Windows? I am going to need to start/restart during troubleshooting, and some of the letters I am going to need to log on won't be available/working.

When was the last time you cleaned the dust from underneath the keys with a can of air?

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

laptop was not have built-in keyboard, its only use a different types of keyboard, you could dissamble it.
could you go to safe mode and try to type something on notepad or something, does it still have problem or not.

and please tell what is your laptop brand and model, and what HP software that you remove?

There are no security benefits to using the virtual keyboard, because key loggers can be designed to take screen caps as you type on the on screen keyboard to get your username and password.

that depend on what virtual keyboard software that you use, lots virtual keyboard make that mistake but some not.
but keylogger always a few step in front and I really loving this :busy:

Edited by abauw, 16 July 2011 - 11:19 AM.

#7 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:01 PM

I cleaned underneath all the keys (very carefully and thoroughly) a few months ago. I looked at a youtube video to learn how to do that -- fairly easy, really. There must be a short or something in the keyboard.

I used the internet at the library to troubleshoot how to bypass Windows log on and found out I could not. The catch-22 is that you have to be logged on before you can change a password, or the 'administrator' account won't work if you've already added a password to it (I had).

Anyway, I picked up an external keyboard and am using that now. My only other alternative (since I could not get logged on) would have been to do a system recovery and lose all my data!

I paid plenty for my Sony laptop and have never been happy with the keyboard's touch and feel. Now this, which was almost disastrous. I didn't hold out for a more discriminating purchase as I was in a rush (needed it for work). Other than the keyboard, it's held up well for four years.

on what I bold...

When was the last time you cleaned the dust from underneath the keys with a can of air?

#8 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:09 AM

you could buy sony keyboard that have same model with your laptop to replace your damage keyboard, but I think that will cost more than other brand, sony keyboard laptop quiet expensive I think, but you could bring your laptop to laptop repair shop to try fix your keyboard.

but before you buy/fix it you could try uninstall your notebook keyboard driver and reboot your system and try to install your keyboard driver, this worth to try

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:36 PM

Lap top keyboards are relatively cheap depending on where you buy from I got 2 lap top keyboards for an old dell E1705 for less then 50 bucks, and fixed it myself.

#10 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

yups, it's depend on where you buy it, in my country it's very difficult to find a store that sell it, must buy it in sony service center and the price is twice even more than 50 bucks. and that's why I hate service center

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users