Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot Computer (Media Test Failure)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 es0terik

es0terik

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

Yesterday while watching an online baseball stream and simultaneously browsing facebook, my computer randomly gave me an error message. Unfortunately I don't remember what the message was about. What I do remember is that I immediately opened a new firefox tab and searched up the error. I clicked on the first link, and the OP was talking about how he had received the error and shortly after, his computer shut down. Almost on cue, my computer crashed and restarted itself.

Ever since then, I can't boot up my computer properly.

I turn on the computer, I see the first two screens that I always see (BIOS screen and then the 'Detecting eSATA drives' screen). After this it goes to the third screen, which I also always see. But this is where the problem is.

First it loads all that code crap that I never understand. Then, like always it gives me these two lines: 'Verifying DMI Pool Data....'

And then 'Boot from CD'. This always happens. But regularly from here it just boots up and goes to the Windows loading screen.

Now, on the same screen, it starts giving me error messages.

NVIDIA Boot Agent 253.0543
Copyright © 2001-2008 NVIDIA Corporation
Copyright © 1997-2009 Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

That's exactly what I get.

Before, I was also getting the error message 'PXE-E53: No Boot Filename Received' prior to the media test failure message. After I unplugged and replugged my internal hard drive (some forums were saying to check the cables for the hard drive) the first error dissapeared.

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit OS. I bought the computer second-hand off a guy who was selling it online. He didn't have any of the CDs, so my copy of Windows 7 is burned (though I do have the CD still).

Before yesterday it was working fine.

All I want to do is to be able to get into the computer (Hard Drive) once, so that I can backup all my files and then I'd reinstall Windows 7 from scratch.

Does anybody have any idea how I can fix these errors, or at least somehow get onto my user account? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Additional Info:

Additional Info:

Motherboard: EVGA 780i 3-Way SLI
Video Card: Two nVidia GTX 260
Power Supply: Corsair 850 Watt
Hard Drive: 500 GB Western Digital Caviar Black - WD5001AALS

Running the installation disk, the repair doesn't work, I can't System Restore because I can't select my operating system, and I have no system images to revert to.

Hard Drive IS being recognized in the BIOS, and I've already tried to reorder the boot sequence.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:42 PM

If you are getting this error, I would attempt a complete reinstall with a legal copy of Windows 7. I am not assuming that you stole Windows 7, but I am making the assumption that the seller did as they did not provide you with the holographic CD.

#3 es0terik

es0terik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:06 AM

If you are getting this error, I would attempt a complete reinstall with a legal copy of Windows 7. I am not assuming that you stole Windows 7, but I am making the assumption that the seller did as they did not provide you with the holographic CD.

That's exactly what I want to do, but before I completely reinstall it, I want to backup all the stuff I had on my computer. Isn't it possible to get in it somehow?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

It is very possible if you have another computer to access.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users