Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP home hangs at splash screen will not boot even in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin-ats

Kevin-ats

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

I'm not really sure that I have a virus/malware issue but it is highly suspected. Windows XP Home is not able to boot and stops at the splash screen even in safe mode. I have tried to locate a problem by booting from CDROM with BartPE and trying to run portable apps like SpybotSD portable and Malwarebytes. Each one was unable to run because they tried to write files to the boot drive, which was a CDROM. The BIOS on this laptop will not boot from a USB device. I have removed the drive from the laptop and have it connected via USB adapter to an XP Pro desktop. I discovered that most directories in the profile areas were unaccessable, "access denied" errors. I manually changed the properties on all the directories that it would allow me to do so I could access the files. There are still several directories in some of the user directories that I was not able to change the access properties, logged in as Administrator.

I need advice as to what proceedure to use next. AVG Free addition hasn't found anything of any consequence but it is skipping any directory that it can't access. I want to find out what is going on as I need to move the data from this PC over to the new PC the customer has purchased. I was able to image the drive using DriveimageXL but I did get a couple of CRC errors near the end of the process. Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kevin-ats

Kevin-ats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:02 PM

Not sure why I received no response.

Did an extended hard drive test, took and hour and a half to run, and the drive failed the test near the end of the test cycle. It had perviously passed the quick test. So in answer to my own question, I do not have an infection on this machine.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

<<Not sure why I received no response.>>

Possible reasons...it's a weekend and member visitations seem to decrease on parts of such...Saturday is a pretty busy day for anyone with family, job, or a normal life, IMO :).

<<I discovered that most directories in the profile areas were unaccessable, "access denied" errors...>>

That can be overcome by taking ownership of the files which came from a different system.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

The folks in the Am I Infected forum...can help you determine if you are infected. I would be very reluctant to move files from a drive I suspected was infected.

I'll move your post to AII.

Louis

#4 Kevin-ats

Kevin-ats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:11 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the reply. I figured that the time of the post the reason for the response delay. I do understand.

I have only backed the drive up with DriveimageXL I haven't copied the files to a different computer. I tried to do all my examinations using the boot CD but was having strange results, because of the defective drive, and couldn't run the portable apps to see if there was an infection. Now that I know the drive is going bad I will try to get another copy of the data before copying it to the new PC. The PC had Norton 360 running on it and was up to date so I'm not as afraid of the data as I was. With the drive connected to my lab PC I have run AVG 2011 and Spybotsd and it seems to be all clear.

Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users