Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Lockups and BSOD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zspacekcc

zspacekcc

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

So I've been having some problems with my computer. This has been going off and on for about three months now, but lately (last month or so) it's been getting worse and worse.
What happens is sometimes when I'm using my computer it starts to lag. After about a minute, whatever program I'm using is completely unresponsive. At that point I still have some limited control (task manager, start menu, and a few other things). If I wait about another 5 minutes, my computer BSODs. If I reset it at that point, I get the following error on boot: "A disk read error has occurred. Push Ctrl + Alt + Delete to reboot.". Doing that has no effect.
I've also had problems with my motherboard detecting my hard drive sometimes.
Now here's what I can't figure out. To fix this problem, all I have to do is open up my case, pull my SATA cable that runs from my hard drive out of my motherboard and put it in a different SATA port (I have 6). Also I can reuse locations, so if it does it again, I can just move it back to one that did it before.
I really have no idea what is wrong with it. So far as I can tell the drive it self is fine (and less then 12 months old). If it's the motherboard, wouldn't I be getting other problems like cpu glitches, graphics distortions or bad RAM reads/writes? Can anyone give me an idea of what I need to replace?

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sUpyQaXZ1Zs6flPcs12jenK
That's a speccy snapshot of my system if someone needs it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:16 PM

what is the blue screen error? do you know?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 zspacekcc

zspacekcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:59 PM

I never get a good look at it. It usually auto reboots but when it I see it, it's distorted, like there's two images on screen (two overlapping blue screens). It's strange because window 7 usually back screens if it's a software problem, but this is a full BSOD. I could try to look the next time it does it, but that could be in 15 minutes or 2 weeks I never know.

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:58 AM

I've also had problems with my motherboard detecting my hard drive sometimes.
Now here's what I can't figure out. To fix this problem, all I have to do is open up my case, pull my SATA cable that runs from my hard drive out of my motherboard and put it in a different SATA port (I have 6). Also I can reuse locations, so if it does it again, I can just move it back to one that did it before.

its because you SATA cable (data/power) have loose their connection so your hardrive couldnt run...
changing your data cable is better...try to use SATA data cables that have pin to locked the connection to hardrive...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,275 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

How To Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic74644.html

That will enable you see the error message.

Louis

#6 zspacekcc

zspacekcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

My cables do have locks on them if that's what you mean. To remove them I have to push in a little tab that holds them in place. They will not move otherwise. Is it possible it's just the cable? I am using the ones I got with my motherboard, so I have no idea what quality they are.

#7 zspacekcc

zspacekcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

How To Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic74644.html

That will enable you see the error message.

Louis

I did that. The next time it does this I'll write it down. Again I have no idea when that will be, so it could be a few weeks before I can tell you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users