Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 random interval restart with failed repair

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 counterpoint

counterpoint

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

Greetings!

Thanks from the start. Here we go! I own a HP pavilion g6-1b79dx, its running windows 7 64 bit , its got the base hardware and is 17 days old. I with-puredata -a music program and some recorded music on it, Kaspersky anti virus, audacity and some mp3s as all I had added to it. On the 14th night the computer locked up with just firefox open, the screen had vertical and horizontal flickering lines on it. I could not get the computer shutdown with the power button so I unplugged the ac adaptor and removed the battery. At first, after the shutdown, the computer would not turn on; the power button would light but not stay on and the caps lock was flashing but I dont remember the code ( I didnt learn about that being a code until afterwards! It seemed to be continual flashing in singlets if that helps.) Looked like hardware to me, but the further evolution has led me to second guess this hypothesis.

Finally the computer came back on, at this point Kaspersky popped up saying all of its databases were corrupted and that it couldn't run and there was a possible infection on the computer. I tried the 'boot disk' from my kaspersky disc as a way to disinfect and just got a lot of restarts out of it. After restarting it would ask whether I wanted to repair windows or not, I generally hit repair, the computer would restart ( as it said it would) but sometimes ask the repair question again. Finally I got into windows and got it working, but I couldnt get Kaspersky to operate even after re-install, the restore funtion in the control panel would not restore the system to factory defaults (advanced options menu wouldnt even open). This pattern of restarts is still continuing but it is happening less frequently.

Ive restored the system twice since, kept it offline except when in safe-mode with networking and run a dizzying array of security programs. When I run malwarebytes, norton, cccleaner, OTL, spybot search and destroy, the norton internet scans, sophos and all of them come back negative. Also 50% of the time a scan causes the computer to restart. After the first reinstall a scan caused kaspersky to go beserk a second time, after the first system restore, and caused norton to go beserk after I uninstalled kaspersky and tried it with Norton.

The computer also freezes, occasionally, in the middle of running some of the diagnostics at f2 during the laoding screen. It seems to complete the battery test, and has passed run test once, but crashes on memory then has no log of that crash. When the comp crashes at f2 it displays the same patterns of vertical and horizontal green lines as it did at the first "freeze" and the screen freezes; sometimes it restarts itself from here and sometimes it doesnt.

Currently I'm running the minimal disk image restore, I have no anti-virus loaded, except spybotsearchanddestory on, which has run clean with no infections, and I am using safe mode with networking. I can get other programs to run, I've downloaded puredata again, but they also crash intermittently with the hard reset and safe mode option. I can't tell if this is a virus, bad hardware or a software conflict but all the bleepery witht he virus programs and their not being able to detect anyhting makes me suspicious and confused.

I'm pretty much trying to determine if I should give up the malware hunt and send it back to HP to get serviced, I wish it had happened on the 13th day after purchase, not 10 pm on the 14th.

Thanks to anyone who reads this novel.

Edited by counterpoint, 15 July 2011 - 07:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:24 PM

Sounds like a warranty repair is in order. We could move to our Malware Removal forum if you want but it will take 3 - 6 days fir analysis and a reply.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 counterpoint

counterpoint
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

If that seems like a good idea, we can do that, I can run the computer relatively well in safe mode so I think I can wait.

thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users