Everything looks good, though I do suggest a few tweaks...
Monitor: Asus VE248H Black 24"
- I like the monitors Asus has, they are usually stylish and good performers. Your Gateway will still work, however. $234
Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X
- Since you're new at this, I think you should get a motherboard that uses UEFI, which is much easier to use than the old BIOS Gigabyte boards use. I don't know why UEFI isn't available on all Gigabyte boards. If you're wanting a more high-performance board, I would go for the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
, but that is tailored to gamers and enthusiasts. $144
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100328L Radeon HD 6770
- I would get a more mid-range graphics card. This is essentially a rebranded 5770. The design of this card makes it a little cooler to run since the fan covers the entire PCB (Printed Circuit Board) and not just the immediate area around the GPU itself. $124 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)
Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
- This is less expensive, but, if you get two of these, you don't have to use as many RAM slots, unless you want 16GB of memory. I use this RAM in my AMD machine. $35 per kit
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
- I suggest this CPU. In real-world performance, you won't notice much difference, in fact, this CPU can be overclocked to 970 levels. If you are doing any encoding or editing of videos, I would go for the six-core AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
since most of those programs can use all of the extra cores. $119
Also, I don't suggest wireless keyboard and mice if you are in an area where there may be radio interference or gaming. Personally, I find wireless keyboard and mice annoying, having to replace the batteries. Unless you are using this PC has an HTPC or really need the ability to watch Blu-Ray movies, you may want to just get a basic DVD drive. However, if you are burning Blu-ray movies or discs, I would get the Sony Blu-ray Burner BD-5300S-0B OEM
. That is an OEM drive, so cables and screws are not included.