Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got Problem With .exe Files When Upgrading From Xp Home To Professional

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wjxspedia

wjxspedia

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:23 PM

I have an Emachine with XP Home. Recently, I upgraded the system to XP Professional. I have two hard drives C and D in my computer. Drive C is used for the operations system mainly and D is for some other stuff. After the upgrade, I found that the executable files in drive D are not functioning properly. When I double click on the .exe file, they will flash out a window and disappear but will not execute as before. The icons of those exe files are all become the same which is not before the upgrade. After I changed back to XP Home, those files become all right again.

Could anyone tell me what's going on and how I can solve this problem? Thanks for your help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:14 PM

How did you install xp pro, upgrade or clean install? When you went back to windows home did you reinstall or do a system rollback?

If you did a clean install or xp pro, I would guess that it did not register the programs on the second drive. If you did a roll back to xp home it would then have remembered those programs.

If this is the case then when you reinstall xp pro you could do an upgrade, which would preserve your settings or reinstall the programs after upgrading.

#3 wjxspedia

wjxspedia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:52 PM

Thank you for your reply. I did a clean install of xp pro. The programs in drive D are basically some application software like Acrobat 6.0 and Photoshop. Could you tell me how to register the xp pro on the second drive? Thanks.

How did you install xp pro, upgrade or clean install? When you went back to windows home did you reinstall or do a system rollback?

If you did a clean install or xp pro, I would guess that it did not register the programs on the second drive. If you did a roll back to xp home it would then have remembered those programs.

If this is the case then when you reinstall xp pro you could do an upgrade, which would preserve your settings or reinstall the programs after upgrading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users