Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open up some websites

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 frtwome

frtwome

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

Suddenly I cannot open up the same websites that I have always been able to open. It says "internet explorer cannot display this website." These are the same websites that I have been opening everyday for months.

Edit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:55 PM

Did you try different browser?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 frtwome

frtwome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:44 PM

Yes, I tried Firefox 5.0 the same exact thing, it's strange because I can open a lot of things with no problem. But as soon as I try to open The sites that visit every single day. They will not open in IE or forefox. Any suggestions, things I can try? What would be blocking me from opening these?

#4 frtwome

frtwome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

On my firefox, one of the sites that I try to open say " the web site does not supply identity information your connection to this website is not encrypted" What does this mean? And how do I correct it?

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

That message is irrelevant here. More info: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/847516

Restart computer in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you have same issue.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 frtwome

frtwome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

I took my computer a mile from home, connected to a wifi. And all of my websites will open, perfectly. I go back home, reconnect to internet service, and they will not open. I unplugged my router, reset it. Still won't open. Makes no sense.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

If you just unplugged the router it's not a real reset.

Turn the computer off.

On your router, you'll find a pinhole marked "Reset".
Keep pushing the hole, using a pencil, or a paperclip until all lights briefly come off and on.
NOTE. Simple router disconnecting from a power source will NOT do.

NOTE. You may need to re-check your router security settings, as described HERE

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:58 AM

I took my computer a mile from home, connected to a wifi.

Sorry for the interruption, but was the wifi you were successful with the same Internet provider as your home service? Just wondering if it might possibly be blocked at the provider level for some reason. If after your router reset the problem continues, that is.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

I think your ISP has blocked those sites for you. You can try opening them using a proxy server and verify if this is the case.

#10 frtwome

frtwome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

I would like to give this try, can you tell me how to use a proxy server? Do I just go to internet options, control panel, connection, LAN and click on proxy?

#11 frtwome

frtwome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

I took my computer a mile from home, connected to a wifi.

Sorry for the interruption, but was the wifi you were successful with the same Internet provider as your home service? Just wondering if it might possibly be blocked at the provider level for some reason. If after your router reset the problem continues, that is.

#12 frtwome

frtwome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

No, the wifi that I used, and was able to open the sites, was not the same internet provider as I had.

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

To prove that it is your ISP blocking the sites, you will need to use a proxy server to gain access to the sites. If you are successful that will prove it is your ISP blocking them.

How do I use a Proxy Server?

EDIT: You can try this method quickly: http://freeproxyserver.net/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 frtwome

frtwome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

Okay, I see that I have to enter a number, after I click on proxy. I don't know if it will matter what number. I picked one from united states Elite proxy. If I enter the number in there, will it automatically put in a port number?

#15 frtwome

frtwome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:47 PM

I just went to www.hidemyass.com they let you do a google web search using their IP address. Guess what, one of my sites that I cannot open. Did open for me. Now what do I do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users