Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Avian Flu Scare You

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kharlowe

kharlowe

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:53 PM

I知 curious about something.
Is anyone as afraid as I of the avian flu?
Off of Yahoo, I saw someone post this concerning the most recent victims in Turkey:
天irus from one of the patients shows mutations at the receptor-binding site. One of the mutations has been seen previously in viruses isolated from a small outbreak in Hong Kong in 2003 (two cases, one of which was fatal) and from the 2005 outbreak in Viet Nam. Research has indicated that the Hong Kong 2003 viruses bind preferentially to human cell receptors more so than to avian cell receptors. Researchers at the Mill Hill laboratory anticipate that the Turkish virus will also have this characteristic. Interpretation of the significance of this finding for human health will depend on clinical and epidemiological data now being gathered in Turkey.
This does not bode well.
It gets closer geographically, and closer to a human transmittable form all the time.
Yet, no one seems spooked by this.
You certainly couldn稚 tell from Yahoo, but there痴 a reason it痴 called Yahoo!
So, I知 wondering how many of the rest of you are worried about this?
The 1918 epidemic killed 600,000 Americans.
That was with a population of about 100,000,000, a population density of 29 people per square mile, and a decidedly less mobile society. How long did it take to travel from one coast to the other in 1918? Maybe two days by train or car (what few there were.) For that matter, how many people traveled from coast to coast then?
Now, the population is near 300,000,000, the population density is 89 per square mile, and hundreds of thousands of us travel every day from one coast to the other by plane within a couple of hours.
Worse, we have no defense against a virus except for vaccination. But, we can稚 get a vaccine until it actually mutates into a human transmittable form. Then, how long do we have? A month? Two?
Anybody else freaked by this?
In the absence of genuine ability, martyrdom is the one certain way to achieve fame--
George Bernard Shaw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:09 PM

I wouldn't say I'm freaked by it, but anyone would be a fool not to worry.

What gets me is, even if it doesn't acquire the ability the spread from human to human:

Migratory birds such as wild ducks and geese can carry the viruses, often without any symptoms of illness, and show the greatest resistance to infection.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/AboutUs/MinistersAndD...2997&chk=OcYuEL

So you don't even have to have that increased mobility you speak of. I would think most areas of the world have species of birds that migrate thru. It would be different if it were something like pigs, wouldn't have the possibility of spreading near as fast.

Ah, but if pigs could fly. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the levity, I just couldn't resist. :flowers:

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#3 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:45 PM

I am not scared about the avain flu unless it large amount of people start getting it. I am not really scared of the avian flu that has people with it in indoniesia (nothing against that country but they don't have as good as medical care as a lot of other countries have).

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:26 AM

I was just reading through this and i thought i'd share my opinions.

Here in England it seems to have turned into an epidemic. It's hard for me to understand whats actually happening. :thumbsup: Living so close to Eastern European countries such as Turkey, the press cover the papers in the culling of birds; often there are 10 page sections if a human dies because of the avian flu. We had a case in Northern England where a parrot was imported from Eastern Europe and that introduced the disease to a bird farm. The fear that swept through the country was pretty scary.

However, this was about a month ago. Now it seems to have calmed down and the press have lapsed their coverage. But with newer cases so near to home of a human mutation, I personally am wondering how long it will take for it to spread across Europe and ultimately across the world.

We had reports in a UK newspaper of"50% of people catching the flu by 2007". Also, the anti-viral drug called "tamiflu" (i think that's what its called) is being sold on eBay UK for ridiculous prices.

That's my view :flowers:

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:42 AM

Is anyone as afraid as I of the avian flu?

I'm not sure of your fear factor, say on a scale of 1-10,
relative to mine ... but I will say I'm not particularly frightened.

It occupies about 3 on that scale. I guess. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users