Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Catastrophic Hard Drive Failure - how to recover?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

Hey guys,

I have a hard drive that completely crashed on me last year. When trying to come up, it just clicks a few times, either restarts or just hangs (I can't remember.) I do remember in BIOS that the computer didn't even recognize the hard drive any more at all.

That being said, for the weekend, I have access to a hard drive enclosure, and would like to pull it to see if I can get some files off of it.

What are some tools/programs that I can use to get the stuff off of it, if it's not read as an External Hard Drive (and I am assuming it won't, barring a miracle.) I welcome any ideas/suggestions.

Thank you so much!

Jeremy James
NFTD #40

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

If the hard drive is clicking it is a mechanical failure. It's unlikely that you will be able to recover any data off of the drive without going through considerable expense.
Data Recovery services can do it but they are not cheap.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

Don't know if it's catastrophic failure.

Rather than me diagnose it, here is what it's doing.

I have the HD in an external enclosure. It's a Western Digital Sata Drive, WD2500.

On boot up, it starts spinning for about 10 seconds, and then makes 6-9 sounds, that could be clicks, but, to be honest, sound like minute portions of static. It does that several times, and then.....just does nothing. The computer recognizes the enclosure, but, not the HD.

Is this catastrophic?

How about freezing the HD in a moisture safe bag? I read that could freeze the arm in place, and then, it may give me 20-30 minutes.

Jeremy

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,430 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:11 PM

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#5 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:59 PM

Louis, can I run these tests when I have in an external closure?

Thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,430 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

My experience is...sometimes.

Not all diagnostics are constructed to look for USB devices...which may be dependent on Windows running...for the device to be operationsl.

I would not want the hard drive in a USB enclosure, I have motherboard slots available for temporary use.

Each diagnostic comes with its own set of instructions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users