Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Delayed Write Fail

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 thebestrc

thebestrc

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

Hi,

Before i get started here is my pc spec:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/IuYoIowss3iYviJWogt6xSt

The problem i'm having is that i can't seem to copy or write anything to my 2nd hard drive. In the link above it's the F:\ aka Disk #2. Whenever i try to copy large files or write anything to the disk e.g. using utorrent i get a Windows Delayed Wrte Fail message........ error writing files to F:\$Mft etc

I tried searching already on here for related topics but they were unhelpful in resolving this problem. Is the hard drive faulty or can it saved?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

<<Is the hard drive faulty or can it saved?>>

Running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...should shed some light.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#3 thebestrc

thebestrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

I took the plunge deleted the volume and then reformatted the hard drive. It seems to be working now but I did this before a while ago and im sure the same problem will occur later down the line.

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

Honestly...
you dont need to do that...
that problem will shown up next...

from my experience...it happen only because hardrive cable (data/power)...you could try to tight that cable...use SATA data cable that have pin is much better than regular SATA data cable...
about power...what PSU that you use?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 thebestrc

thebestrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

Yep just happened again. I've checked the leads and swapped them over with my other drives and i'm still getting the same message. The does work it just chooses when it want to.

Used ultimate defrag to check the MFT for my working hd which is identical to the one thats having the problems and i noticed it has one more file than non working hd. Could this be why the hard drive isn' functioning properly?:

Attached Files

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174

Louis

#7 thebestrc

thebestrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:28 AM

I've tried the solutions in that post above but to no avail i'm still having problems with it. Should i fully format the disk?? I removed all the data i want from it. Also is there any specific software i should used to format the disk so as to prevent this from happening again if possible.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:20 PM

I don't know how to pinpoint the problem.

It could be loose connections, cables, or the drive...if I simplify.

My approach is to eliminate suspects and hope that I find the right one.

Louis

#9 thebestrc

thebestrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

I seem to have temporarily solved the problem by wiping the MBR using Testdisk and then when installing the hard drive using computer management i used basic primary partition instead of dynamic simple that i tried before:

Posted Image

Weird right. Could someone please take the time to explain the differences between the two and why one would work and the other wouldn't???

Kind regards.

Attached Files

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

FWIW: http://www.petri.co.il/difference_between_basic_and_dynamic_disks_in_windows_xp_2000_2003.htm

"After you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, local access to the dynamic disk is limited to Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003. Additionally, after you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, the dynamic volumes cannot be changed back to partitions. You must first delete all dynamic volumes on the disk and then convert the dynamic disk back to a basic disk. If you want to keep your data, you must first back up the data or move it to another volume."

Most users employ basic disks.

Had you stated that you had it set up as a dynamic disk...perhaps resolution would not have taken as long as it did. Although your last graphic shows that it as a dynamic disk...we all seem to have missed that in the beginning.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2011 - 05:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users