Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Does Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ccampbell

ccampbell

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

When I turn on my laptop, it loads like it usually does, but when it's getting ready to boot up Windows, it gets stuck at the loading process and never takes me to the login screen. Someone told me that I may have a virus that's preventing Windows from booting. I tried going into Safe Mode, but that option never shows up. I tried doing a System Restore, but it tells me that there isn't a restoring point available. I tried backing up my files, but it tells me that I need to plug in a USB drive even when I have one already plugged in.

My laptop didn't come with a recovery cd, so I can't wipe out my system clean...Besides, I really don't want to wipe it clean if I can't even backup my files. What do I do? :blink: Someone please help. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

You can start...by telling us system manufacturer and model?

That will give us a better idea of your options.

Louis

#3 ccampbell

ccampbell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

Oops, sorry....It's an HP Pavillion Entertainment PC. Model is dv6000

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:42 PM

Please...can you post the specific content of error messages received...when trying to use System Restore and backing up.

I also find it odd that you can access SR, but cannot boot into safe mode.

Have you checked the support page for your system, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=1842155&x=7&y=8 .

Louis

#5 ccampbell

ccampbell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:01 PM

I can't access SR. I can't access anything. When I turn on the laptop and I press F11, it will ask which option I want to do: System Restore, System Recovery, Backup Files, and one other option I forget but can't do anyway...I've already stated in my first post what it says when I've clicked on either one of these options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users