Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

boot freeze before sign in screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zbob1

zbob1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

Windows 7 Home Premium: My Boot usually takes about 30 -40 seconds; every once in a while after windows screen boot delays 60 -75 seconds before sign in (this has happened several times and eventually (days or weeks)seems to correct). I have checked drivers, run check disc, memory diagnostics, system restore, driver backup restore, registry errors, System File Checker, etc everything checks out. I have run a boot trace but don't know how to read the results. HELP!

EDIT: Moved from Intros to Windows 7~~

Edited by boopme, 15 July 2011 - 03:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:55 AM

hi, maybe its not you computer ,but your stop watch .lol

just kidding ,but i do fine it kind of silly to worry about 30 or 40 seconds longer boot time ,[be careful you don't screwup a good working computer trying to fix it ],but maybe you virus scanner or another program that starts at bootup is doing a quick check for updates

Edited by caperjac, 16 July 2011 - 05:56 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 zbob1

zbob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:05 PM

Hi,

The 60 - 75 seconds I refer to are the (additional) time to go from the windows screen to sign in screen (compared to switch PC on and be fully loaded in 35 - 40 seconds(this issue has happened many times and it is frustrating). I suspect there may be driver issues but cannot find any evidence.

I ran a Windows boot trace but do not know how to interpret the graphs.

Thanks,

Bob

PS: Compaq dual core 2.8 Gig
3 Gig DDR3
Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
Microsoft Security Essentials
Spyware Blaster
Threat Fire

Very Clean Machine with zero fat on start up
Drivers and all software are keep up to date

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:45 AM

check event viewer to see if some service or device is having trouble starting . how to in link ,good luck
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Edited by caperjac, 17 July 2011 - 04:45 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 zbob1

zbob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

Caperjac,

Thanks; I'll have a look. The link covers the Event Viewer through Vista. Windows 7 version is much more detailed (all the better (If you know what you are doing)). I felt like I was looking for that proverbial needle in the haystack. I checked the major categories for errors and did not see anything "major" but I kept getting:

MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it (I checked "unload snap-in and continue running" and then viewer closes)

Unhandled Exception in Managed Code Snap-in
FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}
Could it be an Admin Permissions problem(?) Windows 7 seems to be famous for them.

Edited by zbob1, 17 July 2011 - 10:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users