Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Clean A Volume Marked As Dirty?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 apsccltd

apsccltd

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 03:29 PM

I have a single Maxtor 160Gb SATA drive partitioned into 4 volumes. The largest (H:) is used for storing Media files and has been marked by Windows XP as 'dirty' (previously corrupted). For the last few months chkdsk has been running as boot up. Found out from the microsoft site that this is because the drive is flagged as dirty, I've surpressed this using chkntfs.exe and run a chkdsk /f which found no errors. The drive is still flagged as dirty and won't defrag because chkdsk is scheduled.

Also can't run chkdsk via windows utility, because it can't get exclusive use of the H: drive, even though there should only be data files on there, no OS or programs installed. What could be 'locking' the drive?

System: Athlon 3000XP, Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, 1Gb RAM, Windows XP SP2, Partition Magic 8.0 used for partitioning, Norton Internet Security Suite 2004 Pro. MS Office 2003 Pro.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:22 AM

NTFS4Dos is freeware and has a dos version of chkdsk which may fix the volume.

However you may be better running the hdd manufacturers hdd diagnostic utility as there could be a fault with the drive if it's constantly happening.

What does Partition Magic report about the partition in question?

And are you using Perfect Disk to defrag the drive? As I had a problem with that defragger always scheduling chkdsk at start up which prevented me from using it to defrag the drive.

#3 apsccltd

apsccltd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

Thanks fo the tip. I downloaded Maxtor's PowerMax 4.22 utility, ran all the test (stopping short at reformatting) and they all passed. PowerMax, Partition Magic and chkdsk all see the drive as having no problems, yet XP still has it flagged as dirty, and defrag won't run because a chkdsk /f is scheduled. Any ideas how to force this flag off?

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:53 AM

Hello, Has anyone thought of backing up the info on the drive to a CD-ROM or DVD drive then reformatting the drive? Then all you do is restore all of the backed up data and you should get rid of that error. :thumbsup:

cya l8r

ThorXP

Edited by ThorXP, 22 January 2006 - 07:54 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:21 PM

Here's some solutions for editing the "dirty" flag: http://www.infocellar.com/winxp/disk-checking.htm

Please let us know how it works as I've not tried this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users