Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help removing a network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kimbobimbo

kimbobimbo

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:35 AM

I'm helping a friend. They have a netgear wireless router WNR2000v2. They had an unsecure network so I renamed it and set a password so that it was locked. I renamed it Jasmine, when I connect to it, it works fine and is locked correctly. The only problem is I can't get the original netgear to go away. So I can still connect to the router without a password. I don't understand why both the locked Jasmine and unlocked netgear are both showing up. Is there a setting that I'm missing. I've tried resetting the router and my cable modem.

Edited by kimbobimbo, 15 July 2011 - 08:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:01 AM

Do you live in an apartment or a neighborhood? It could just be another netgear device that your wireless card is picking up.

#3 kimbobimbo

kimbobimbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:54 AM

I do live in a neighborhood but I'm positive it's my connection. When I connect to it and open up router information my mac address shows up as connected

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

by open up router information, you mean the web administration portion?

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

You should Manage your wireless connections from your computer, delete ALL existing connections saved in windows and then re-connect to your secured network.

Follow these steps for XP:
http://oit.pdx.edu/use-windows-to-manage-wireless

If not XP, what OS do you have?

Make it so that one is preferred and it should automatically find and connect to that one first and always. If your have indeed set up the router to used a password, it should not have any unsecure wireless signals comming from it as it is not a DUAL band router.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 kimbobimbo

kimbobimbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:12 PM

Thanks guys, I will try that and see if it works and let you know. I have windows 7. @bleepin madman yes

Edited by kimbobimbo, 15 July 2011 - 03:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users