Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wedding invitation and being broke. What should I do?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 raf96

raf96

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

MY niece is getting married and I have absolutely no money... I Mean... I'm absolutely broke.
Now... I'm not that close to my niece (my brother's daughter) and I feel like I'm being invited as in ..."he should be invited".
My problem is... I'm broke... I can't put anything in "the envelope" and I know that by confirming my presence I will incur some additional costs to the newlyweds.
Sooo. should I simply decline the invitation (which might be received as a sign of disrespect, or should I go and be perceived as a cheapscake?

( I just hate the whole pre-wedding bull...)

I just need some honest opinions, so I can form my own.

(I need to reply by 23rd)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

In this day and age and economic times I am sure they will understand. Put in there something that will say I am sorry but I am unable to send you gift, but when I can ill go get something later on. My gift to you for now is my moral support for you at the wedding.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

Hello,

IMO, if you can afford to attend the wedding (travel expenses and so forth), please do so. As for a gift - you may have something you own that the newlyweds may enjoy and which they could use. Or you could make something for them if you are skilled in that way. It doesn't necessarily take money to give a good gift.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

Can I say this with out offending? I am unsure of your Cuture on this?

I am a 64 year old Aussie, married three times.

Maybe it can help?

My first Marriage was just a simple one just her and I and two Witnesses in a Church. We just had a few Drinks after.

Second one was a Garden Wedding, but treated as a full on Reception, as above.

No one tallied up the presents, we were just happy for their gift of their Company, once invited.

Third one was exactly the same. Except We received a Picture from one Guest that just blew us just away. We never realised that it still existed and it made a very special moment for us.

Can I suggest thinking along those lines?

Edit: I still have that Picture of me as a 17 years old.

Posted Image

My wife even did this to it

Posted Image

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 15 July 2011 - 12:36 PM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:21 PM

Definitely go it you can.

I like OB's idea of maybe making her something.
That would have a very personal touch.
Maybe something as simple as a music or picture cd.

I think it is important to attend because she is family.
None of us will be around forever.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

I know at my wedding having an extra hand around to help with setup and tear down was as appreciated as any gifts. Perhaps just hang around afterwards and help clean up

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 raf96

raf96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:03 AM

Thank you guys for all of your suggestions. So based on your advises I did confirm my presence at the wedding.
So once again thank you all for taking your time and helping me out.

#8 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

You are welcomed, Please let us know how it goes?

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users