Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Install Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RangersFan

RangersFan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:37 AM

I attempted to do a clean install of Windows 7 Home full version on my old Dell Studio XPS 1640 laptop. I unfortunately deleted the original 2 partitions and did a format which got rid of recovery factory image of the previous vista install (didn't figure i'd run into this problem). So I created 2 new partitions and started my fresh install. Everything seemed to be going smoothly, once the setup installed some files and rebooted upon reboot I get a message: "Windwows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem : 1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer. 2. choose your language settings, and then click next. 3. Click repair your computer. If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance. File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe Status: 0xc000000f Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt." Right away I think no biggie let me reboot from disc and try repair or another install. But now whenever I boot from the disk again and click repair or install the computer just hangs, I could move the mouse cursor and everything, but the computer just stays on the screen and nothing happens. On repair it hangs on a screen with a background and nothing, on install it hangs on a screen that says setup is stating... and just stays there with the cursor spinning like it's doing something but never does. I've tried different boot disks both win 7 and vista, tried booting from a usb flash and still same thing. I'm thinking I need to reformat repartition my drives or something. Any partition utilities out there that allow you to boot from usb flash drive? Can't think of anything else to do expect ask you guys. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

My recommendation would be to run a diagnostic on the PC to make sure that HDD isn't faulty. Since you deleted both partitions on your computer the Dell diagnostic will no longer be available to use. What we need to do is find out what brand hard drive you have, seagate and western digital offer their own diagnostic software. You can find out the brand by popping the HDD cover off the bottom of the computer and there should be a branding sticker.

Edited by MarkGS, 15 July 2011 - 08:26 AM.

#3 RangersFan

RangersFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:39 AM

yea i've run diagnostic software before in the past even before i attempted this install, and it has failed the dell one, yet has still run fine. i've long suspected the hard drive is faulty, i've already ordered a new one, hopefully it was just a faulty drive. I physically removed the drive and am formatting it via a sata to usb adapter and windows boot manager on my desktop. i was able to delete the partitions, but formatting seems to be taking too long, it may be faulty after all...

Edited by RangersFan, 15 July 2011 - 08:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users