Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop screen problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 364unbirthdays

364unbirthdays

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:43 AM

Earlier today, when I was on my HP dv6000 laptop, the screen suddenly turned white with faint gray, horizontal, slightly diagonal lines. I turned it off, turned it back on, and the screen had changed to some strange pattern similar to this:

Posted Image

The laptop is about three years old. It didn't seem to be overheating or having any other sort of issues when the screen stopped working.

What could be the problem with my laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:46 AM

Hi 364unbirthdays

These laptops have an inherent problem with the graphics card, to put it simply the solder melts slightly an the graphics chip moves and stops working. There are a number of ways to what they call reflow the chip, google "HP reflow". I have done it many times with the heatgun method, but once it starts it will always come back. You can also remove the battery, then tape all air vents up, wrap up in blanket and bubble wrap or the like, and switch on for an hour or so to overheat the board which reflows the chip, switch off, put battery back in, and switch back on again after it has cooled for half hour or so.

Note that reflowing the board is very hit and miss and can permanantly damage the motherboard, so only do this as a last resort when you have nothing to lose.

To be honest if this is the problem, then you need to get another laptop. This is very common with HP DV laptops,

The best way to check is to connect your laptop to an external monitor with a VGA cable. If it works OK on the external monitor, then it is a laptop LCD problem like a cable, or the screen itself etc. If it is still the same as described, then the above is almost certainly the cause.

Good Luck,
jodav :)

Edited by jodav, 15 July 2011 - 02:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users