Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran XP CD and now fully at Day 1

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:11 AM

An EX mate of mine ran his XP Pro CD through his system and deleted virtually everything - - -
Is there any way to try and bring the computer back from its now Day 1 setup and find anything that existed -

Mainly system setups etc so that I can help him get this thing back and running -
I can pull the back off and find the M/B make etc if needed , but everything else is set to Generic M/soft from looking at the System Hardware panel -
There is nothing in Control Panel that I can find that even lists the maker etc . .

Thanks for any little bits of help -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:28 AM

What do you mean by "ran his XP Pro CD through his system"? Formatted and reinstalled Windows?

#3 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:00 AM

Formatted and reinstalled Windows?

Yes - He thought he was only doing a 'clean up' of the system and restore - :ranting:
It ended up doing a Full Reformat from what I can see.
All drivers etc are listed as M/soft Generic and I am having problems finding his install CDs for drivers and things like that -

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:25 AM

Run Speccy or SIW (just Google those terms). It will tell you the make and model of the motherboard. Start, Run, msinfo32.exe might also.

Edited by .X., 15 July 2011 - 03:29 AM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:16 AM

Run Speccy or SIW (just Google those terms). It will tell you the make and model of the motherboard.

It will not access internet , but I might be able to load onto a USB stick -
That was one idea I was thinking of , but I just kicked myself into transfering via USB -

Thanks , we are on the track now.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:54 AM

Just go to the website of the system manufacturer and download and install the chipset driver. If it's a laptop you should get all other drivers from there. If it's a desktop you can look in device manager for the various hardware specs or use a tool such as speccy (as suggested above) or Belarc Advisor or Everest, etc. Download any of these apps on a different system and transfer them to the system in question.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:06 AM

If you run into problems and need help:

[*] Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button.

Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

[*] After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

[*] Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
Posted Image

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Posted Image button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 July 2011 - 10:08 AM.

#8 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

It will not access internet , but I might be able to load onto a USB stick -

Thanks Q-E and Allan but the (desktop) PC I am working on has no internet, so it must be all transferred via USB stick from another PC.
I have got Speccy to the unit I want to work on , and now that I know the HDD is Western Digital WDC and M/B is ASUSTeK I can start looking for drivers etc.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users