Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WMP Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:32 AM

I have a question about WMP

Why is WMP8 hidden so much??

I mean you can find ANY COPY OF WMP TO DL IF YOU WANT,EXCEPT 8!!

Whats so special about WMP8 that M$ doesnt want ppl having it??

I have heard wmp8 doesnt have DRM support but neither does 7.1,6,5,4,3,2,1 and those are all over the net!!

And who cares if DRM support is not there,THOSE FILES WONT PLAY WITHOUT IT SO WHAT DO THEY CARE??

Does anyone here have wmp8 or know whats so secret about it???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:06 AM

From Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows:

"The original version of XP, also shipped with Media Player for Windows XP (MPXP, nee Windows Media Player 8), a capable all-in-one media player that integrated with the underlying system to provide music and video playback and organization. MPXP wasn't a bad product, but its replacement, Windows Media Player 9 Series, was far more impressive, despite a clutter user interface with numerous, inexplicably similar and unlabeled buttons. WMP 9 was accompanied by a revolutionary set of audio and video codecs--Windows Media Audio (WMA) 9 and Windows Media Video (WMV) 9--which, to this day, set the standard for compression, quality, and file size."

It just got better (depending on your opinion). There seems to be no reason to offer downloads of, or support for WMP8, when the successor is so superior.

#3 4dude

4dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:19 AM

Well why offer the other WMP versions??

Seems quite strange........ Thanx for looking that up :)

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

You might want the older versions for older Operating Systems; some people still use Win95, Win98, etc. and it may be a problem to install, say, WMP9, on Windows 98; it can be done, but it may be easier to install an earlier version.

Also, different versions can cause conflicts in other programs; e.g. Roxio EMC7.5 works OK with WMP10, Roxio EMC9 Suite doesn't.

It is interesting to note that MS offers a couple of security updates for WMP8, but not the player itself. Duh.

You should find it on an original XP disk, (before 2003) and I expect you could find it on those weird sites that we don't discuss.

I'll have to check my Father's disks from his acquisition of XP in 2001; if it's such a rarity, perhaps it's worth something. :lol:

#5 4dude

4dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:32 AM

WMP9 works fine on Win98se (Thats what im on (I love 98se))

Yes i think it is worth something,THEY REALLY ARE TRYING TO STOP PPL FROM GETTING IT!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users