Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screens and freezing IE....

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 RhonB

RhonB

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:32 PM

Hi there,

I have already been through the malware forums over the last few days and it has been determined that there is no malware on my machine....so it was suggested I post here to look further into my system and find out what's going on...

I have had a few blue screens and my IE freezes up alot to where I have to use task manager to shut it down and start again. My computer was also running very hard, meaning...looking at task manager, either my services.exe, lsass.exe or csrss.exe start all of a sudden hogging usage..then it goes back down again. It was suggested that I remove a few of the multiple security tools I had installed and I did, this helped a bit, the machine does not run hard as much..still doing it though, but way less.

The history and full explanation of all my symptoms and where we are now is located Here

I hope someone in this forum can help me figure this out and puleaseee don't tell me it's a hardware issue cause that's not something I really wanna hear... ugh... <_<

Edited by RhonB, 14 July 2011 - 10:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Obmute

Obmute

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:36 AM

Hi there, thought I'd give a shot helping you out here. First thing I'd like to have you try is if you enter Safe Mode with Networking does IE still freeze up a lot, does the computer seem faster overall? That BSOD can sometimes mean driver issues so trying to rule that out to begin with. Let me know :)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:07 AM

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

System manufacturer and model?

Can you post a screenshot from Disk Management? Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Use Print Screen key to take a screenshot.

Have you checked for possible overheating of system?

Louis

#4 RhonB

RhonB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for responding....

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

==================================================
Dump File : Mini071011-01.dmp
Crash Time : 10/07/2011 10:52:00 PM
Bug Check String : BAD_POOL_CALLER
Bug Check Code : 0x000000c2
Parameter 1 : 0x00000040
Parameter 2 : 0x10000000
Parameter 3 : 0x80000000
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+22f43
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.6055 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+22f43
Stack Address 1 : ntoskrnl.exe+71c2d
Stack Address 2 : ntoskrnl.exe+7449a
Stack Address 3 : ntoskrnl.exe+5eb76
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071011-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 90,112

Dump File : Mini070211-01.dmp
Crash Time : 02/07/2011 10:59:07 AM
Bug Check String : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x100000d1
Parameter 1 : 0x98936314
Parameter 2 : 0x00000002
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0xac76bd3a
Caused By Driver : aswSP.SYS
Caused By Address : aswSP.SYS+20d3a
File Description : avast! self protection module
Product Name : avast! Antivirus System
Company : AVAST Software
File Version : 6.0.1203.0
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : aswSP.SYS+20d3a
Stack Address 1 : aswSP.SYS+1f2f1
Stack Address 2 : aswSP.SYS+1f4cd
Stack Address 3 : ntoskrnl.exe+1819f
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini070211-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 90,112

System manufacturer and model?

Dell - Vostro 200

post a screenshot from Disk Management

Wasn't sure how to actually post, so it's attached...
Attached File  diskmgmntScreenshot.JPG   241.56KB   9 downloads

Have you checked for possible overheating of system?

I have not noticed any overheating. The fan is working and wouldn't the machine shut down if it overheated? The hard running comes and goes, I don't think it would do that if it was overheating...but I could be wrong :mellow: For instance, right now, I have just started my system which has been shutdown all day while I am at work....every once in awhile...it runs hard...then slows down...then runs hard...then slows down... etc...

Awaiting your reply and again, thanks for the help...

RhonB

#5 Obmute

Obmute

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

What about trying in Safe mode with networking? Do you notice the same thing?

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

on Mini070211-01.dmp...
it shown that your avast that create BSOD...
try to un/reinstall it...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#7 RhonB

RhonB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

Hi Abauw,

Thanks for that advice, but there is also the 2nd BSOD to think about.... :unsure:

I may try the unistall/re-install you suggest, but first I will wait to see what the moderator thinks.... :wink:

Thanks again :)

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

I would uninstall Avast...and then reinstall and update same.

Possible file corruption.

Basic info on BSODs/STOP errors...can always be found at http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm .

"0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile."

I hardly ever suspect memory when it comes to STOP errors...whereas drivers (every AV program, among others, has drivers), so I would simply uninstall the AV/reinstall/update and see if the problem resurfaces.

Then, we take it from there :).

What malware-defense programs (AV, firewall, others) are currently installed on your system?

Louis

#9 RhonB

RhonB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

Hi,

Ok, I will try the un/install on Avast.
Actually that's what another poster suggested but I wanted to hear your opnion first.. :wink:

But would that make the machine run so hard or cause my IE to keep lagging/freezing? :unsure:

I have Avast and PC tools firewall installed and active, I also have Secunia which I open now & then to check for any required updates on other software. I did also have Spybot and Winpatrol but I was advised to remove them as they were taking up so much memory and the machine was constantly running hard...after removing them, the machine seems to run better, not running hard all the time...just occasional....up & down.. :wacko:

I will let ypu know later if the Avast un/install went well...just too nice a day to be in here on the PC right now....heading outside to do some gardening...enjoy the beautiful day! :)

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

IMO...problems are likely to occur when you have two or more programs...which run perpetual scans on the system.

I don't know anything about Win Patrol...but Spybot has some features which cn create problems. A better alternative would be SUPERAntiSpyware, IMO.

I have also found the Windows firewall more than adequate for usage, with the nod going to 3d-party firewalls for those who like to dote over the various reported data which is generated. The oft-cited "doesn't prevent outgoing" comment...well, I find that hardly impairs either of my systems. I formerly used Kerio/Sunbelt for years with no problems either.

You might also take a look at the configuration options for PC Tools.

Louis

#11 RhonB

RhonB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

Good morning, :)

I did the unistall/reinstall of Avast last night....and I removed the PC Firewall and made the windows Firewall active.

So far...IE did not freeze on me last night...but I will watch for a day or two and let you know if this worked... :thumbup2:

But there are still surges in memory every few minutes.....it's just running mormally, then...hard runs for a few seconds...then back to normal....then hard runs etc... It is not overheating and I just don't get what this is.. :wacko:

Just 1 question, maybe I did not understand if you already answered...but what caused the 2 BSOD?

Thanks

RhonB

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:58 AM

File corruption would be my guess...origin undeterminable, IMO.

With file corruption issues...the only trail leads to guesses as to why it happened. File corruption can occur for any number of reasons/situations.

File Corruption & Its Consequences - http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/r0903/47r03/47r03.asp&guid=

As for memory being used...that's what it's for. Any service/function can trigger such...indexing, normal system processes that start, etc. A system is always doing something, unless it's powered down/off.

Louis

#13 RhonB

RhonB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

File corruption would be my guess...origin undeterminable, IMO.

But the 2nd BSOD said something (In BlueScreenView) about it originating in a driver, but all my Windows updates are current...should I be looking to update this driver is some other way?

Also, my IT guy at work said there may be some bad sectors on my HD and suggested I buy some software that helps you move data out of bad sectors into good ones...make sense?
But I don't want to buy any software :whistle: Any freeware that helps with this? And should I do it?

A system is always doing something, unless it's powered down/off.

Oh, I knew this...but I don't remember it ever being so loud...although not as loud, or as often and long as it was before I removed all the extra security apps, still...when it happens it is a bit loud...is this just my system getting old? (2-1/2 years old)

#14 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:46 AM

open your task manager and watch it when your computer runs slow/hard, how many process that runs and memory usage on that process.

about 2nd BSOD, its very hard to tell why?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

<<But the 2nd BSOD said something (In BlueScreenView) about it originating in a driver,>>

Drivers...and any other file...can become damaged/corrupted. When that happens, the driver may not work as planned...same principle applies to human beings, with the difference being that drivers cannot heal/repair themselves.

Drivers are also often the scene of the crime...the point at which Windows realizes that something is amiss...rather than the criminal. The obvious example is malware which may intentionally alter or damage existing files on a system.

Windows isn't a deity...it can only throw up an alert when something that has been programmed in...becomes askew to the point of forcing Windows to malfunction in a manner that can be perceived by Windows. Thus, we often have instances where "the evidence" points to a driver...but the driver may have only been the victim and not the criminal. We may never know what made the driver malperform...but we know that it does malperform...and we can remove it and try to replace it.

STOP errors are not an exact science...neither is writing an O/S.

IMO, identifying the file/component thar raises the alarm in Windows...often assists in solving the problem. Not always, which is why clean installs and repiar installs are important efforts to level a shotgun blast...at whatever is askew.

<<Also, my IT guy at work said there may be some bad sectors on my HD and suggested I buy some software that helps you move data out of bad sectors into good ones...>>

Bad sectors...probably exist on every hard drive. When a drive is formatted, it takes account of bad sectors and does not include them in the formatting process. When a hard drive subsequently develops bad sectors which are reflected in a hard drive diagnostic...or chkdsk /r...it becomes a concern because the appearance of bad clusters reflecting data...may mean that the hard drive has a physical problem which may intensify or reflect a physical deterioration that will ultimately render the drive unuseable.

There is no need for a special utility to move data from bad sectors in Windows...the chkdsk /r command does this, if it can. If it cannot, it will alert the user that there is a problem with the drive, via error message. If able to move data from bad sectors to good sectors, such will be reflected in the report generated from any chkdsk /r command.

Ultimately...reformatting the hard drive eliminates bad sectors from the Windows install...but it won't necessarily guarantee that the bad sectors are not an indicator of continuing problems of a hardware nature...that, ultimately, will place the entire Windows install in jeopardy.

I'm not one of those persons who say "Buy a new hard drive" when they see "bad sectors" in the chkdsk /r report. But I understand their perspective. But I have mutliple hard drives which are unused...I make backups...and I can afford to wait and see if bad sectors truly mean that I can no longer use that drive.

One thing to fully understand...bad sectors are NOT repaired/fixed...they are merely worked around, a hard drive contains a huge number of sectors that allows such. I think of it in the sam way that I would approach a mine field...I'd go around it and mark it so that no one else stumbled into it. My impression is that this is how formatting works.

Reading material:

Bad Sectors on Hard Disk - http://www.datarecovery.com.sg/data_recovery/bad_sector_on_hard_disk.htm

Bad Sectors On Hard Drives - http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1583&page=3

Louis

FWIW: HDDs of exactly 500 GB have approximately 976,562,500 sectors.. There may be some variance as to what numbers come after the 976...but you can see the point about quantity.

Edited by hamluis, 17 July 2011 - 12:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users