Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell 1350 CNW printer installed on server 2008 R2 64 bit will install as a network printer, but no one can see it

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

Hello all,
This is a new one for me, and I've not done it since maybe six years ago. I'm trying to set up the family printer on my Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit PowerEdge T110 server. The issue though wasn't getting the printer installed through print management as a network printer. It's more like the fact that my Windows 7 32 bit laptop doesn't see it under network. I figured that I had to add it to the printers installed, so using the search for network printers option, I tried searching for it with no luck even with a rule set up in the GFI Vipre Premium firewall. It tried to block the connection twice, so I allowed it twice. The other problem I fear I'll run into is trying to get all of the computers in the house connected to the print server because they are running all different generations of the Windows OS. I run Windows 7 32 bit, my mother runs Windows 7 64 bit, (she has a laptop), my father runs Vista also on his laptop, and the family general-purpose Dell Dimension Dim 4600 workstation is still running XP and office 2000 believe it or not. The printer is a Dell 1350 CNW. It is connected to the PowerEdge via USB, and most of us are on the wireless network, though file sharing's no problem for me at least. I don't know about the rest of my family because they're not interested in that. They want the printer. What do I have to do to get the other computers in the house to see the printer? And I definitely checked the share printer box when installing it into the print management console. We do not have an active directory domain here, but I know that Server 2008 R2 is capable of providing print services to workgroup clients. If anybody can let me know what I need to do, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a million,
Chromebuster

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

1) you state that you installed it as a network printer. Did you mean that you installed it as a local printer and shared it? because if you installed it as a network printer and it is connected via usb, it is not shared and will not be visible.

2) does the pritnter print from the server?

3) Assuming it is installed and shared, try accessing it from one of the client computers by opening a file explorer window and in the address bar typing \\servername then press enter. The shared printer should display in there. That is a little more reliable than the windows "searching" of the network.

Hello all,
This is a new one for me, and I've not done it since maybe six years ago. I'm trying to set up the family printer on my Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit PowerEdge T110 server. The issue though wasn't getting the printer installed through print management as a network printer. It's more like the fact that my Windows 7 32 bit laptop doesn't see it under network. I figured that I had to add it to the printers installed, so using the search for network printers option, I tried searching for it with no luck even with a rule set up in the GFI Vipre Premium firewall. It tried to block the connection twice, so I allowed it twice. The other problem I fear I'll run into is trying to get all of the computers in the house connected to the print server because they are running all different generations of the Windows OS. I run Windows 7 32 bit, my mother runs Windows 7 64 bit, (she has a laptop), my father runs Vista also on his laptop, and the family general-purpose Dell Dimension Dim 4600 workstation is still running XP and office 2000 believe it or not. The printer is a Dell 1350 CNW. It is connected to the PowerEdge via USB, and most of us are on the wireless network, though file sharing's no problem for me at least. I don't know about the rest of my family because they're not interested in that. They want the printer. What do I have to do to get the other computers in the house to see the printer? And I definitely checked the share printer box when installing it into the print management console. We do not have an active directory domain here, but I know that Server 2008 R2 is capable of providing print services to workgroup clients. If anybody can let me know what I need to do, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a million,
Chromebuster

Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:13 AM

No. What I meant was that I installed the printer locally (connected to the server via USB), and then I went to the print management console and then specified the share name and everything there for the other computers to find using the add a printer wizard in Windows 7. Both Windows 7 computers connected fine with the exception that my mother got logged in there under my administrator account by mistake, and I still need to figure out how in the world to remove the printer and then reconnect it so she can be under her own account, but the issue was the Vista laptop that belongs to my father. He was able to log in fine and stuff after finding the printer (though he had to select it by name), but the correct driver doesn't exist on the server for him evidently, so I have put that question to the Dell community in order for them to lead me to the correct Del drivers for this printer that go to XP and Vista.

#4 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:08 AM

first lets take care of the easy parts
Drivers are here for all os's
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=PRN_1350CNW&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=
download and place extracted folders in there own respective folders by os type ie... xp, xp 64, vista x86, vista x64, ect.... then share the container folder (folder they are all in) across the network. IE... \\Server\drivers
lets assume the following
server name= Server
Printer Share Name= DELL1350CNW
Driver folder share name= Drivers
now for the hard part
click start (then Run on xp) and type \\Server\Drivers if the folder opens you can install the printer.
lets assume you have properly shared the printer from the server because you can connect to it from the admin account. so all you should have to do is add the printer to each os/computer and pull drivers from the shared folder. When the add printer wizard asks for the printer network location you will put somthing that looks like this: \\Server\DELL1350CNW when it asks for the driver you will point it to \\server\drivers\ (OS TYPE)

I hope i made this a little clearer than mud

Edited by Larry D. Lawrence II, 02 August 2011 - 01:09 AM.

Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for the hand, Larry. I will tell you though, that I got it to work, though I'll tell you, I think I'm going to move the printer from a direct USB connection over to the router so that it will be hooked up via CAT5, in order that the obviously unreliable print spooler service on the server (the service crashes all of the time), will not have to be relied upon. I can then install the printer as a network printer via the Print management console. The problem we're having right now is that we can't seem to print things from Bing maps or Google maps. When somebody clicks the text only link to print it and then clicks print, they get the add a printer dialog (this is when printing from the local connection to the server a.k.a. sitting at it), and every time, the print spooler service has been the culprit. (the printer will work sometimes, like when printing the map instead of the text). Tell me is this not stranger than all heck?

#6 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:33 PM

Have you tried to set the print spooler to automaticallyrestart upon failure? This might clear up the problem with junk data hittingthe print spooler before the job arrives.
i.e... Excess header information ie8 likes to send withgraphic / text print jobs.
Go to services to set automatic restart on failure and seeif that helps.
You can also look at the event viewer and trace culpritfiles using http://www.eventid.net

Edited by Larry D. Lawrence II, 02 August 2011 - 10:33 PM.

Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

#7 awaiken

awaiken

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:16 PM

Asking for a favor of the owner(s) of this printer, can you print a Test page from this printer and send me via PDF? I need to see details on the test page before i order. It'd be greatly appreciated. my email is fav1an at yahoo.com (replace 'at' with @) (or as an attachment on your response). It will be greatly appreciated!

thank you much in advance..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users