Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/

Can I download Windows 7 from here? Will there be any evaluation period, like 30 days?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

Seems you can download from those links. It says it is the RTM versions of Windows. Which as I understand
are the versions first released to manufacturers.
Not exactly a trial period....you will be allowed 30 days to activate with a key you now own or you will need to purchase a product key
from Microsoft. After thirty days and no activation, your OS will turn into a pumpkin. :whistle:

If you do decide to download from one of those links, please post back your experience as to installing and ability
to update. Just curious. Like a cat.

But if you intend to purchase, it would be better to get the software from Microsoft or purchase for usually few dollars
less from another vendor such as Newegg, a Windows DVD.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

If you want, you could buy a OEM Windows 7 disc, which is a full version of Windows 7, but costs less. It lacks the upgrade feature, so if you install it, you will have to wipe the hard drive. Also, Microsoft does not offer support for this kind of Win7 disc, so your on your own when you need tech support. (But you could always come here! :wink: )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=windows+7+OEM&x=0&y=0

#4 Warped55

Warped55

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

I'd recommend going into a retail store and buying one incase you
A. Need to reinstall for whatever reason, or
B. Need a recovery disc.

'course, Im not sure if downloads do that too...

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:17 PM

Warped55......Those are .iso images of Windows 7 that are offered as downloads.
Out of curiosity and really for no other reason, I downloaded and burned one to a DVD.
Waiting to hear from rhino1366 how the install goes and if he can update the OS to SP1.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:41 PM

Okay...

So I shall make another partition for Windows 7, right?
EASEUS should allow me to resize and recompile, as far as I know (if something goes wrong)...

Currently, I'm using Windows XP from my old burned laptop. It was an HP laptop (HP modifies OS for itself), so it isn't so great now.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

Here is a link to how to do a dual boot of XP and Win 7. If that is what you intend.
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP - Windows 7 Forums

Personally, I would rather create an image of the XP install on an external drive and
attempt install of Win 7 using the entire drive. If something goes south with the Win 7 install or your comp
is not compatible then it would be a simple reinstall of XP using the saved image from the external hdd.

#8 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:20 PM

My desktop PC, that I'm using right now, IS compatible with Windows 7. :)

EASEUS should help me with partitions. Otherwise, if something goes wrong, EASEUS should allow me to recompile/restore everything how it's now.

...isn't it so?

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

Do you want to be able to boot into either XP or Win7 at startup? If so, the directions in the link for dual booting is what
you want to do.

You can't simply drop the .iso into a separate partition and expect Win7 to be installed. You need to burn the .iso to a dvd and use
the dvd to install Win7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users