Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A gadget caught fire today :-(

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 subtropical

subtropical

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:47 PM

My link
I have an iPod touch 4g. Bought a Mophie Juice Pack Air external battery/case.

This is/was my second one. The first just quit and they sent me a replacement. The replacement caught fire this morning. My hand has a slight burn. Just a couple of seconds after I plugged it in for a sync I smelled something -smoke then my hand stated to hurt. Pulled the plug and ended up using plyers to get it off the ipod, the ipod is ok as of now.

Of course I want my money back for the gadget but to whom should I report the fire? If I had done my normal morning routine, plug in then head to the bathroom, my home could have burnt down while in the shower :angry:

I would feel so bad if someone was harmed by my failure to contact some agency to issue a recall. Please give me some advice.

TIA!
:-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

well before a recall can happen there has be a known wide issue of this happening.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:20 PM

I would feel so bad if someone was harmed by my failure to contact some agency to issue a recall. Please give me some advice.

Go here: US Consumer Product Safety Commission

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

Animal nailed it. Remember to document everything you were doing with the device. Save any charger or associated materials as well. Take pictures.

I had a similar thing to happen to me a couple of years ago and Animal helped me through it. I ended up contacting my state advocate office to have my situation resolved as the company I was working with dragged their feet. I do recommend calling Apple and letting them know what happened. Tell them you were burned with the device. You will be on the phone for a while, but hopefully they will replace the device without question as iPods are not suppose to spontaneously catch fire. They will probably want the device mailed to them along with your Mophie Juice Pack Air external battery/case so they can determine what component cause the problem.

Good luck

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users