Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer for Business, 4 Monitors

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 curetecjames

curetecjames

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

Hi all, thanks for reading my post!

I've been asked by a client to build a PC for business purposes, therefore no gaming performance required. The catch with this machine is that it needs to be housed in a Micro ATX case to fit under a desk and also needs to be able to support four 21" monitor's which will be used from the outset.

My client has advised that money is no problem; obviously I don't think my client understands just how crazy you can get with building a PC so try and keep it relatively sensible ;) I was thinking i7 Core processor on a mATX motherboard is probably the best option however I'm more than open to anybody else's suggestions?

I would really like this client to be fully satisfied with this machine so hopefully I've come to the right place to ask you guys for your advice and input.

Thanks very much, I'm looking forward to reading your suggestions.

James
James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

Which micro-atx case are you talking about, desktop, mid, mini and slim?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:18 AM

Also-with four monitors, do they all have to be able to run seperate (i.e. an extension of your primary desktop) or cloned? If you want to run a cloned setup-as in have 2 monitors working kinda as one, a standard micro atx board such as this coupled with a video card with dual monitor hookups and a DVI splitter will work, however if your wanting a quad monitor setup with each display showing a different screen-you will need a board such as this coupled with two ATI cards that support eyefinity in crossfire, such as these to be able to accomplish that. Now, there are other cards available-that will do that-many cheaper, but the problem is, getting them to fit into a micro-atx case. Most video cards these days-especially those with eyefinity support to do what you want them to do-are dual slot video cards, and getting them to squeeze into a micro-atx case will be difficult-dealing with cooling just as much of a nightmere. If you go that route, you may look at liquid cooling-especially if its going to be shoved into a tight space. Now, if you expand into a mid-atx case or larger, it makes life a little easier, and cheaper.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:08 AM

Smaller and portable desktops which are powerful are bound to have little issues.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 curetecjames

curetecjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:47 PM

I was going to try and avoid using either Cross-Fire/SLI for the reasons you have suggested, heat, cost and available space.

To be honest I might try and suggest using larger case which will allow more room to manoeuvre so to speak.

I did stumble across this which I thought might be the perfect solution? Not sure whether you know anything about this guys but any advice would be great! I really am trying to avoid going down the water cooling route, so if at all possible a single graphics card setup would be ideal. Not sure if anybody know's of a more suitable card?

Killer; in answer to your question, the case is flexible (in terms of it being small) however I do quite like the possibilty of a MicroATX cube case but as I've just said, there are no preferences.

Cheers guys,

James
James

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

So as far as far as multiple screens go-do theyhave yo each show a seperate screen or can one or more be duplicated?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 curetecjames

curetecjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:38 PM

They should all be able to work independantly as opposed to some screens duplicating...

James
James

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

thwell, to the best of my knowledge, to be able to run 4 independent displays-you need to have four outgoing display ports. The easiest way to do that, is to crossfire with eyefinity. Other options are a card like this which, is in essence, two crossfired cards together, but is from what is in my opinion an inferior brand of ATI manufacturing, which may be an option, or a card such as this which is from a reputable manufacturer I trust, however is a high end card and is going to require a decent amount of room and cooling. For single card solutions, you will need something like these two to accomplish the task-for dual card solutions you have a few more options. If you could use a mid-atx such as this you could crossfire two lowend cards together and save a bundle, and accomplish your goals, and that case is a bit shorter then a standard mid-atx, and can be mounted sideways or upright for a little more freedom in placement.

Edited by the_patriot11, 15 July 2011 - 06:50 PM.

picard5.jpg

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

A micro-atx cube cases can usually accommodate one graphics cards.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users