Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing USB cable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nismo44

Nismo44

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hello,

I have a problem with my gamepad. It's USB cable broke just near the USB connector..
I wanted to have it repaired, but I was told it was going to cost me 15 euros, I could get a new one for that money..
But I still wanted to take the harder way and try to repair it myself.

So, I had another gamepad (without vibrations and joysticks and stuff) which isn't working but has a non-broken USB cable.

So I opened both gamepads. The one with the broken cable also had a connector for PS2. Altogether there were 9 differently colored wires going into the gamepad:

GND black
D+ white
D- purple
+5v pink
DI brown
D0 orange
CS yellow
CLK blue
ACK green
+3.3V red
+7.5V gray

But only 5 of them went into the USB connector:
white, brown, yellow, blue and red
in another words D+, DI, CS, CLK ja +3.3V

In the other gamepad's cable there were only 4 wires:
VCC red
D- white
D+ green
GND black

Now I have two USB cables which need to be connected.. one has 5 wires and other has 4.

I would like to know if there is a possibility to connect the wires so the gamepad would work? And which wires I need to connect for that?
and if I connect them wrong, is there a chance I could harm my PC? motherboard maybe? break my USB port?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

It would probably be better to purchase a new USB cord. Do you really want to risk doing damage that would cost MORE than what a cable costs?

Here are basic instructions on repairing a cable:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5839879_repair-usb-cable.html

Everything I read on this subject stated you would need a soldering gun and solder. These alone would cost more than the cable.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 14 July 2011 - 07:22 PM.

#3 Nismo44

Nismo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:59 AM

Thanks for your reply.

But how can I replace the whole cord? Its one end is still soldered on the green plastic scheme or w/e it's called inside the gamepad.

And I have a possibility to use soldering gun at my brother's workplace, so that's not an issue.

And I also have already read that page you suggested.. there it's said that I need to connect red wires with red wires and black wires with black wires.
But all the wires I have are colored differently:D

I wonder if I would buy a new connector end, as suggested on eHow, would it have 5 wires in it like my broken gamepad has?

or is the best and easiest and fastest way to purchase a new gamepad:D and then try to fix the old one just for my own satisfaction and in case of success I would have two working gamepads to play FIFA with:D?:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users