Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG ICON Keeps relocating on desktop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:36 PM

Well someone will probably pop up and move this topic somewhere else but I am running Win 7 on this machine.

Not every time but often over the past week or so when I restart (or cold start) this machine I find the AVG ICON in a new location on the desktop. I move it back and refresh the desktop and maybe it will stay put the rest of the day even if I do shut downs and restarts. I removed the Home Group ICON using instructions from this forum because that ICON did the same thing. I guess I'm just a little sensitive to things like this. I have also removed IE9 and reinstalled IE8 to get my Google search back. I also don't like M$ jamming things down my throat. I also removed Firefox 5 and reinstalled Firefox 4 so I am not constantly switched to ASK.com. Same reason.

What's up with all these "forced settings"?

I hate being restricted and directed without my consent.

S
UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

I find the AVG ICON in a new location on the desktop

What do you mean by "new location"?

I have also removed IE9 and reinstalled IE8 to get my Google search back

What was wrong with Google searches?

I also removed Firefox 5 and reinstalled Firefox 4 so I am not constantly switched to ASK.com

Firefox never installs any extra garbage. It came from somewhere else. Cant' you just uninstall Ask Toolbar?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

I can't remember how to do a screen shot.

I keep all of my ICONS organized and in specific places on the desktop (like most folks I think) but the AVG ICON will be located somewhere other than where it was on restart occasionally. Yes I reposition it and do a right click and refresh but it will eventually move again.

With IE9 all I was able to do was use the "one click" search and the small Google search window usually located at the top of the toolbars was gone. I could not set Google as my default search provider.Works fine in IE8 and I prefer Google. I have loaded a "block" script from M$ to keep the update (as it now comes, tricky M$) from continually popping up. Do a Google search for "how do I block the IE9 update". Don't Bing it or Ask it, GOOGLE IT!

And yes I have tried to remove ASK.com from the list of search providers and even deleted all except Google and ASK.com keeps coming back and is set a default. Firefox 4 works fine. Not trying the new beta FF6
UFO pilot

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

Have you run full scans with both AVG and MalwareBytes?

#5 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

Yes but I'll do it again.
UFO pilot

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:34 PM

In IE9 you search straight from address bar (same as with Firefox).
Here is how to set Google as your default search engine: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/119534-internet-explorer-9-search.html

And yes I have tried to remove ASK.com from the list of search providers and even deleted all except Google and ASK.com keeps coming back and is set a default

Go Start>Control Panel>Programs & Features and uninstall it from there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:50 AM

avg will run all by itself ,no need to have its icon on the desktop anyway,just delete it

as for new versions /updates being shoved down you throat ,all programs updates can be turned off .
as for Firefox i use it as my main browser and enjoy 5,no issues at all with it or IE9.

Edited by caperjac, 16 July 2011 - 03:33 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:45 AM

Well I figured out the Firefox thing. It was actually ASK.com toolbar that was loaded with the Auslogic defragmenter. I removed that to fix the switching search engine. I use Firefox as my primary and am just not going to fool with IE9 until I have to. There are 100 or more old folks that depend on me to keep their machines running. So if one of them complains I will load whatever they want. Meanwhile I'm a Firefox guy.

S
UFO pilot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users