Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Accessing Router.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 A13X

A13X

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:40 PM

Hello, my first post 'ere! Hopefully it's an easy problem to solve.

Here is the problem:

I'm trying to access the configuration page of my router (Some unbraned thing from dabs). The router 'number' or ip address is 10.0.0.2 and my computer is set as 10.0.0.1, another being 10.0.0.3.

I load up Internet Explorer (or Mozilla Firefox or just Windows Explorer) and type in 10.0.0.2 or http://10.0.0.2 to get onto the configuration pages. However, nothing happens. The browser just sits there and doesn't do anything. The page doesn't open. I've tried turning off my firewall program but that doesn't help.

The computer is a 2.9ghz Pent 4 with 512mb of Ram. Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002.

The internet works fine, so information is getting to and from the router; i just can't get into it. The manual also doesn't help.

Please advise, thanks in advance,

Alex.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 02:28 PM

So your gateway IP adress is 10.0.0.2? Try Start>Run>CMD>ipconfig /all. What information is played?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 A13X

A13X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:22 PM

ipconfig /all gives the following :

C:\Documents and Settings\Alex Frew>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ALEX
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Peer-Peer
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-20-9F-05-7E
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.74.112.66

C:\Documents and Settings\Alex Frew>

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:19 PM

:thumbsup: to BC A13X,

Open a command window and type ping 10.0.0.2
Do you get rapid responses or are packets lost?

In the same window type ping www.google.com
what happens?

If you cannot access the configuration page how did you set up the router? How do you know it's IP address is 10.0.0.2? What kind of internet connection do you have? How are your computers connected to the router?

Edited by Rimmer, 13 January 2006 - 01:07 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 12:17 AM

Who setup your LAN? It is setup as a static IP. This is unusual for a general use LAN. Your router by default should be setup as DHCP and not static.
There is a small whole on the side or back of your router. It will have a small reset button inside it. Unplugg your router from the power. If it has a battery backup remove it also. Once this is done, insert an ink pen tip or paper clip into the reset button whole. Hold the reset button down for one minute.
When you have done this plug the router back in wait one minute then turn the computers back on. If this router is average it will now be in DHCP mode. Which means it will configure your computers as they power up and look for a network connection.
Attempt to acess the Router Configuration Page...10.0.0.2.
In each computer go to Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Connections>LAN settings. Select the Automaticily detect setting options.
Re-run the ipconfig /all and see what your gateway is. That is your router's LAN IP address and the address to the router config page.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users