Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloaded Windows Updates And Now I Can't Get Online

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bxrjen

bxrjen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:18 PM

Hello,
One day (Jan 2 to be exact) I decided I should download the Windows updates that my computer keeps prompting me about. Big mistake. Now I can't get online (i'm wireless with linksys router). It says I'm connected, but when I try to open internet exployer it says "can't find server". I called Dell support and they said the updates corrupted something and that I should backup all my files and reinstall my operating system, however, they won't help me do that unless I pay for their "fee-based customer support". I'm sure I can do it on my own, but I can't find any simple instructions for saving all my files and programs. Is it as simple as saving or copying all my files to a CD? I don't have the "backup utility" and I couldn't find it on the Windows XP CD-ROM either. I did try the System Restore and that didn't work either.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Jennifer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:14 PM

Try Start>Run>CMD>C:\sfc /scannow. I am not sure if it will work in this situation, but it can't hurt. If you have to reorder that XP CD before the next windows come out. It is worth it's weight in gold when repairing/installing the OS.

Edited by acklan, 12 January 2006 - 01:15 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 bxrjen

bxrjen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:27 PM

What does that do?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:45 PM

It attempts to fix broken or missing files.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:23 PM

Did you go into your internet connection and check to make sure the settings are still there and correct. Also, unplug the modem power and cable, leave off for a minute and reboot.

#6 Cheryl51

Cheryl51

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:12 PM

That happened to me and all I had to do was unplug my router for about 2 minutes and then plug back in. I am no computer expert but the person that did my wireless had told me beforehand that was how to reset and so far it is working fine and is much easier to do than mess with xp.

#7 bxrjen

bxrjen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the advice. The thing is, when I click on "wireless network connection status" it says its connected with a strong signal. But I still can't get online. When I open internet explorer it says "page cannot be displayed"
The internet works fine for my other desktop and laptop (those I didn't put the Windows update on).
I just ran the Bellsouth FastAccess Help Center wizard and it says "We didn't detect a modem but we can access the gateway. However we are unable to connect to the Internet. You may be running behind a personal router or your modem may not be responding". What does that mean!!!??? My wireless router is working fine on the laptop that I'm using to type this. Why isn't my other laptop working even though it says it is connected to the same network???
I'm so confussed :thumbsup:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users