Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is acting crappy and I want to get a fresh start... maybe

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:07 AM

My computer is acting crappy and I want to get a fresh start... maybe.

I was locked out of my computer and thankfully AustrAlien helped me recover my computer in this thread. I was having problems with my computer prior to whatever happened that caused my computer to go blue-screen, like running very slow to open programs and running slow on the internet. I cannot open Firefox the conventional way, clicking on an icon, or at least I have to do it several times before it fires up. Also there was an increased incidences of my wireless crashing.

I have been doing the typical maintenance stuff like running my anti-virus (AVG), system cleaners (ASC and CCleaner) and MalwareBytes, so I think that the problem is deeper than that, I think that there is just too much stuff on the computer occupying space and the the programs are probably tangled up and running in the background (I try to uncheck that when installing programs, but I suspect that some sneak through), and add-ons are also probably messing things up.

My initial was to wipe everything out and start over but I am starting to get scared about doing something that drastic because I don't know if I have the disks and what-not for the operating system and key programs to re-load, so I don't want to take the chance of wiping out something that I cannot recover, so now my plan is to wipe out all but a few programs and random processes, also there may be some programs like Firefox that I may want to uninstall and reinstall fresh.

What I have done:
* Analyzed the hard drive (not 100% sure I've done this, see ** below).
* Ran chkdsk (per AustrAlien, he also wants me to do additional checks).
* Ran a Belarc analysis (file attached).
* Ran Revo Uninstaller to get a list (images attached).
* Did a print screen of processes that run on start up (images attached).
* Backed up personal files.

What needs to be done (not sure about the steps themselves or the order, so I am looking for confirmation and suggestions):
* Have the hard drive analyzed, ** when I could not get into my computer, as part of my trouble shooting with Dell they had me do a diagnostic and my computer passed, so this may have been done. To get the diagnostic started, I pressed FN and turned on the computer and followed the rep's instructions and he told me that I passed the diagnostic, I can include that transcript if necessary.
* Per AustrAlien, run chkdsk a few times.
* Save some / most / all of my application set up files, not sure if I should do this.
* Start deleting programs, is Revo Uninstaller a good tool for this?

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Any input and guidance is appreciated, thanks. :)

Programs:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Processes:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

First off you are insecure. Your Java should be upgraded to Java 6 Updates 26 immediately! Your VLC should be ungraded to 1.1.10

Secondly, WOW! This won't help you much buy boy do you have crap installed.

Compare it to me....

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's not to say I don't run apps. I have about 300 that I keep in D:\Programs and they are mostly portable so they don't gunk up my system.

Edited by .X., 14 July 2011 - 09:33 AM.

#3 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:12 AM

First off you are insecure.

Ouch! :P

Your Java should be upgraded to Java 6 Updates 26 immediately! Your VLC should be ungraded to 1.1.10

OK.

Secondly, WOW! This won't help you much buy boy do you have crap installed.

Yep I agree and I think that that is a big part of my problem. I am a bit of an app and add on hoarder, but when I install apps I go out of my way to not to have them run on start up, add toolbars or do automatic updates unless it is a key application like anti-virus although I am starting to think that AVG is part of my problem. Now I do usually say yes to having to the app icon installed on my desktop.

All those processes are driving me nuts and I have tried to disable them, using CCleaner, Glary and I have not been able to figure out how to do it, sometimes it looks like I have gotten rid of something and then it pops up again at a later time, so I don't know if I truly got rid of it and then it reinstalled itself or if it just went underground for a while.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

I would uninstall Advanced System care any any program by Iobit.
They are not very well respected in the tech community after stealing intellectual property from MalwareBytes a while back.

Then uninstall ALL toolbars and any programs that you dont use.
I see multiple printers installed as well.

How big is the hard drive & how much space is free?

From the date format I surmise that you are overseas.
What country?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

I would uninstall Advanced System care any any program by Iobit.
They are not very well respected in the tech community after stealing intellectual property from MalwareBytes a while back.

Then uninstall ALL toolbars and any programs that you dont use.
I see multiple printers installed as well.

How big is the hard drive & how much space is free?

From the date format I surmise that you are overseas.
What country?

I am in the US.

Any thoughts on what should I use in lieu of ASC?

My hard disk is 40.00 GB and with 9.08 GB of free space, so if I don't get rid of stuff, that may be or soon will be a factor in performance.

Thanks.

Edited by Anne_ATL, 14 July 2011 - 12:45 PM.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

"Any thoughts on what should I use in lieu of ASC?"
Nothing. Programs that purport to fix Windows problems typically do more harm than good.

"Start deleting programs, is Revo Uninstaller a good tool for this"
Yes, its a very good program.

Try deleting your temporary Internet files and system restore points.
See how much space that recovers.

Whats the model number of the Dell?
Is a clean install an option?
If you have the recovery partition intact it will put it back to an out of the box state.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

Whats the model number of the Dell?
Dell Latitude D610

Is a clean install an option?
I don't think so because I need a disk for that right? I don't have the disk.

If you have the recovery partition intact it will put it back to an out of the box state.
I will lose my personal files if I do that right? Although that is OK because I did back them up but there are some files that did not copy over. Also I don't know if this is relevant but I bought the computer reconditioned.

Thanks.

#8 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

You mention uninstalling toolbars, these are browser toobars right?

Can I just delete the programs. I primarily use Firefox but IE is installed too. I am thinking that add ons are part of the problem so I want to delete the browser program and install Chrome and use that for a while, at least for this process since it is pure so to speak.

Also if you look at my programs list, do I need both the second and third items, namely both Microsoft Net Framework programs?

Thanks.

#9 Anne_ATL

Anne_ATL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:15 PM

Are any of these Microsoft or Java programs redundant? I am trying to free up space on my computer and don't want to delete the wrong applications, but I suspect that some of the Java and Microsoft apps are newer versions and the lower version can be deleted. TIA.

Posted Image

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

Hello again!

With the exception of Microsoft Easy Assist v2, leave the other Microsoft items alone. If you don't want/need to use the Easy Assist program, then you may safely remove it.

The Java items are all out-dated and a security risk:
  • J2SE Runtime
  • Java
  • Java
Remove them.

If you want/need Java, then download and install the latest version.

Edited by AustrAlien, 12 June 2012 - 07:27 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

Java Version/Download

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users