Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening Homepage In New Tab On IE9

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gil58

gil58

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:01 AM

With an open link on my desktop I then go to open a new tab and the open link appears in the new tab instead of my homepage.

How do I make it so my homepage appears instead?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:23 AM

In IE, go to Tools>> Internet Options>>General tab, under Tabs click "Settings">>Under "When a new tab is opened, open:"--Select desired action from drop-down menu.
If I understand you correctly, what's happening now is the same page is being duplicated when you open a new tab, correct? I don't know why that's happening as the only options for "When a new tab is opened, open:" are a blank page, your homepage & the "new tab page" (whatever that mean, I use Firefox exclusively)
[attachment=102434:IE.PNG]

What is your homepage set to currently?

Edited by Union_Thug, 14 July 2011 - 06:25 AM.

#3 Bill R TechSpec

Bill R TechSpec

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

With an open link on my desktop I then go to open a new tab and the open link appears in the new tab instead of my homepage.

How do I make it so my homepage appears instead?

Wow, that's weird! This could be a number of things: it could be malware highjacking your homepage, I've even heard of fragmented system files causing weird behavior.

The easiest remedy would be to hi-light and delete the link from your desktop, then re-start the PC and see if that handles it.

Failing that, do a system restore to a point before this started to happen.

If still a problem, get Malware Bytes here: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html
and run a full scan to see what it finds and handle whatever it comes up with.

If no luck, update your Anti-Virus and run a full virus scan and see if it finds anything (if you don't have an Anti-Virus, AVG is good).

If no joy, get CCleaner at http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/ and do a registry scan (if it was malware, removing it may not have restored registry settings).

Also, with CCleaner, look at the options area and check out the Strat Up Programs. If anything you don;t recognize, disable them from starting up (there may be a rogue program that starts up and replaces the link on your desktop each time you remove it -- this will stop it from starting up when you start the PC).

After all this, do a thorough disk defrag using a good third party defragmenter that can address system files and will keep your disks defragmented (I have seen fragmented disks cause some really weird things). Here is a review done by Top 10 Reviews of the best defrag programs around: http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ . Check it out, get a free trial of one of the top placers and use it to defrag your PC (including system files) see if that resolves your problem.

If still a problem there are more drastic measures available, but the above will probably resolve it.

Repost if need additional help.

Bill R TechSpec

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users