Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File recovery after crash

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gorf1

Gorf1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:11 AM

Hi, everyone. Thanks for reading this.

I was capturing video from a DV camera directly to my Windows 7 laptop NTFS hard drive using firewire (the performance was 2 hours with no break, so tape wasn't an option).

After about 80 minutes the laptop just powered off - I think it had overheated.

I've pulled the hard drive without switching the laptop on since it crashed. It's a 2" SATA drive now attached to a USB adapter on a different Windows 7 PC

I'm trying to recover as much of the AVI as I can, but it's not showing when I use undelete software. I'm hoping there is some trace of the file to start my recovery procedure: At the time of the crash, the PC must have been maintaining some record of the file's location, as it would be needed to prevent other processes from writing over the video data.

The video capture routine was in Magix Movie Edit 17 Pro, if that helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorf1

Gorf1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

Nevermind - managed to recover the file using MiniTool Power Data Recovery 6.5

Now just need to repair the AVI as it doesn't seem to have been saved with a FourCC...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users