Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-format / Restore question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Crazy49er

Crazy49er

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:00 PM

I have a friend who has a windows Vista desktop. And the poor guy has somehow developed several issues with the computer.

From what I can tell he has installed Vista twice on the same PC. There are 2 options at boot that go to two different Vista installations on the same hard drive but split into two partitions. C: drive has been shrunk to about 10 gig in size while the D: drive normally reserved for the data backup has become another installation of vista at around 310 gig.

The problem is not the fact that there are two installations but that the larger drive portion on D: has become corrupt. It blue screens when attempt to boot into normal mode. And it freezes during load up for safe mode. However the user account on the C: is fully functional.

The downside is that the Desktop had a system restore for factory built in but is inaccessible because it was on the D:

Now I happen to have a spare disk for Windows Vista 32bit however it has been previously used (not currently on any machine) but it is OEM so I question the ability to use it. I'm hoping I may be able to simply toss it in and use it to repair the D: partition but I could be wrong. The desktop has its own Vista license key but would I be able to use that instead of the one with the vista DVD? The only reason I ask is he does not have any recovery disks and the manufacturer is claiming they do not have the disks any longer.

any advice would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:18 AM

Personally, I would remove and recreate all partitions during a new windows install - it's all got a bit messy now. Obviously that means backing up all your data first etc. If the desktop does have it's own Vista serial sticker then you can try using your disk, I think OEM is usually shipped with new hardware but as long as you have a valid key you can use another disk to install. There are some variations between discs and not all license keys work with all discs - so no guarantee it will not reject the key. Usually, if you have a retail serial key and any spare retail disc then you will be ok.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:50 AM

I agree with the above post. If it were my system I would start from scratch, deleting and recreating the partition(s) during a clean installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users