Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with a website

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mechem

mechem

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:24 PM

I use IE8. A website I visited often stopped working for me maybe two months ago. I can get to it no problem on other computers. I can get to it no problem if I use Google Chrome. Did some troubleshooting and found if I created a new account on the computer (standard vs. my admin) or used the guest account the website works just fine with IE8. Those accounts can access the site even if IE8 is started with no add-ons. I tried Safe Mode and still can not get to the site with my account.

When using the other accounts obviously IE8 is the same as when I use my accounts. So what could possibly be happening? Is my user account corrupted? I see no other evidence of any problems with my account. If my account was corrupted wouldn't Google Chrome also not work with this site? It is definitely related to IE8 somehow but I am stuck on how to proceed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:13 PM

Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons). Same problem?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 mechem

mechem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:31 PM

Close IE.
Go Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, and click on Internet Explorer (no add-ons). Same problem?

Yes, the website still won't work. Interestingly on the other accounts the site works whether add ons are enabled or disabled so I don't think it is related to an add-on. I should also say that I have reset Internet Explorer settings to default and even enabled/reenabled through Windows Features (similar to uninstall/reinstall) all to no avail. This one has me stumped.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

Did you try another browser?
This way we'll know, if it's something about IE, or your profile.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

Did the site stop working just after you deleted I.E. browsing history? Does it continue to work wrongly after you reregistered with your newer log-in information?

#6 mechem

mechem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

I mentioned in my first post that the website works fine with Google Chrome. So I'm 100% sure it is related to IE8. And since the website works with other accounts on the computer it must be something related to my admin account. But I see no other evidence of my profile being corrupt.

I know I could use another browser to access the site but I'd really like to figure out what changed and made me not able to access the site. I don't think it is related to clearing history or anything else in IE8 settings because as mentioned I've reset and reenabled IE8. Not sure what cafejose means by reregestering log in information. On the website? There is none. On my computer? No changes. I have not created a new admin account as of yet. Don't like the idea of moving over all my data because of one website. Even if it is one I go to frequently (or used to!).

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

Restart computer in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you have same issue there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 mechem

mechem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:39 PM

Restart computer in Safe Mode with Networking and see if you have same issue there.

It's hard to remember everything I've tried but yes I already did start in Safe Mode w/N and it made no difference. I'm open to more suggestions :blink: .

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:04 PM

What exactly happens when you try to go to that site?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 mechem

mechem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

It's the site http://www.cartalk.com/Radio/WeeklyShow/online.html The NPR show hosted by Click and Clack. You are able to listen to their shows online. If I click "listen now" it pops up the player window but nothing happens. No error messages, no nothing. When it works you get a little advertisement in the popup and then a slider appears with the content playing. I'm pretty sure they use Flash Player which I do have and I don't have any trouble with anywhere else. The file properties has a .php ending but I haven't found a lot of info if it could be related to that.

I just noticed if I try to open in a new tab I get an error in the notification bar with the yellow exclamation point.

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; HPDTDF; .NET4.0C; InfoPath.2)
Timestamp: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 14:36:19 UTC

Line: 78
Char: 4
Code: 0
URI: http://www.cartalk.com/Radio/player5/player.php?a=show

It's just odd. As mentioned it worked fine on my old computer, fine on this one for several months and fine on other accounts on this computer. It just will not work for me now.

Edited by mechem, 16 July 2011 - 09:38 AM.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

They use Flash indeed.

You may find it interesting, that I went to that site with my IE9 and it will NOT play. The pop-up window comes up, but nothing plays.
Firefox works fine.

I suggest you email them maybe?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 mechem

mechem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

That IS interesting. I had posted on their forum and a couple of people also reported problems. But based on their traffic I would have expected it to be more widespread. I would chalk it up to it being their problem solely but then I can get it to work on other computers and even this one with a different account (with the same IE). So there is something that is causing it on my IE8 and your IE9, but what it is is beyond me. Thanks for checking their site.

Edited by mechem, 16 July 2011 - 01:40 PM.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

I really don't use IE much, so it's in pretty pristine condition.
Said that it must be something on their side.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users