Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home, can't do factory restore

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lucky66

Lucky66

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:46 PM

I've got a client's Gateway 300s that was so badly infected with hijacks, trojans and other malware the only thing I can do is a factory restore. Of course, if someone has a suggestion besides this I'm all ears, but I will post that question in a virus-related forum.

What I've done so far:

- connected the hdd to my PC and did a full scan with updated Malwarebytes since the client's PC was disabled; found 22 serious baddies (fake av, hijacks, etc.) and removed them
- started the client's PC in safe mode as administrator, installed Malwarebytes on it, and scanned again. Found more items and removed them, but since then it still seems infected and all AV disabled
- did a system restore to the earliest date, and still have symptoms
- decided to backup client's data and do a factory restore with recovery partition (DVD drive broken)
- tried f8, f10, f11, f12, cntrl f11 and got no options except safe mode or restore to checkpoints no earlier than 90 days

Since the disk isn't an option, and the recovery partition doesn't seem to be either, what do I do? Client was going to replace DVD drive anyway - guess we have to do that first? And burn an image of the XP disk (have product key, no disk)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

I guess I don't understand...the steps that you state you have taken...if the intent is to wipe the drive via restore-to-factory-defaults.

As to how that is accomplished...the manufacturer's documentation covers that, there is no universally applicable procedure that I am aware of.

http://support.gateway.com/s/Manuals/Desktops/8510943.pdf , pages 48-49 may be informative.

FWIW: XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

#3 Lucky66

Lucky66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

I guess I don't understand...the steps that you state you have taken...if the intent is to wipe the drive via restore-to-factory-defaults.

As to how that is accomplished...the manufacturer's documentation covers that, there is no universally applicable procedure that I am aware of.

Louis

Thanks, Louis. I should clarify - the first steps I listed were as an explanation of why I wanted to do a clean install, in case someone questioned it. Update: I found nothing wrong with the DVD drive and can boot with Hiren's disk. But MWB still won't run and I am burning an XP Home install disk now. Thank you for the helpful links!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users