Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:46 PM
I've got a client's Gateway 300s that was so badly infected with hijacks, trojans and other malware the only thing I can do is a factory restore. Of course, if someone has a suggestion besides this I'm all ears, but I will post that question in a virus-related forum.
What I've done so far:
- connected the hdd to my PC and did a full scan with updated Malwarebytes since the client's PC was disabled; found 22 serious baddies (fake av, hijacks, etc.) and removed them
- started the client's PC in safe mode as administrator, installed Malwarebytes on it, and scanned again. Found more items and removed them, but since then it still seems infected and all AV disabled
- did a system restore to the earliest date, and still have symptoms
- decided to backup client's data and do a factory restore with recovery partition (DVD drive broken)
- tried f8, f10, f11, f12, cntrl f11 and got no options except safe mode or restore to checkpoints no earlier than 90 days
Since the disk isn't an option, and the recovery partition doesn't seem to be either, what do I do? Client was going to replace DVD drive anyway - guess we have to do that first? And burn an image of the XP disk (have product key, no disk)?