Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsecured Network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

Hi guys.Is it possibble to have a floating I.P. Address on an unsecured network and if so would that help the Security of my system ? Does anybody else have any ideas how to make the network (unsecured) more secure ? God Bless ! Passion16

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:27 AM

A floating IP address?! Do you mean an IP assigned by a router (dhcp)? Unsecured network meaning a wireless network with no encryption?

Ideally we need some more information...

#3 FoxtrotCharlie

FoxtrotCharlie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:27 AM

Rereading your post, it looks like security is the primary concern?

Whether the IP is assigned by DHCP or is fixed shouldn't be too much of a security issue for the computer itself, but it may be for the network in general. Personally I only like to have the router / firewall allow a couple DHCP connections, and then block everything else that I haven't already assigned a fixed IP to. For a home network, this really shouldn't be much of a security concern.

As for the unsecured network, if you are running a wi-fi network without encryption, you really need to change that ASAP. It's easy to do. You should be able to figure out how to do so from your router's software (again assuming a home network). When it gives you a list of options, don't pick WEP as this is only mildly more secured than no encryption. WEP is mostly just a "please do not hack" sign. Choose a type of WPA as it is much more secure.

I agree with Dirtdog that we need more information...
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it ot pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

#4 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

How do I set this desktop's encryption and me using a USB Plugin to pick up the signal from my Motel's Router.YES SECURITY is what I am wondering about.I have Norton.It always runs clean.it might pick up 55 tracking cookies but that's on a full system scan all so far. ? I just wandering about any ideas to make my Computer more secure from people watching me ,put it that way on my Computer.So far no problems though.Or I guess you are talking about the Router.The Motel has that.I have no say as to what it is set on.Thanks,Here I am in an unsecured motel ? Why Security concerned ? Nothing illegal.I'm clean.I just take antidepressant meds and feel for sure due to the nature of the government work I did they keep close dabs on me.I do not know that. Comcast refused to give me a account of my own with a secured network and were bleeps about it.I have a few people say why your paranoid.No, I just think we have have fourth amendment rights.My Union,Company,City,County,State, and even my ex=wife and family are blackballing me because I will not give up my LTD.My wife burned me up in court.I can get no help.All avenues are blocked.Trust me.I know.I have a HUGE Employment Lawsuit on my Company but they stopped me from even seeing an Employment lawyer about it.All the way to Chattanooga,TN.That I know.It's all political.I used to hold Government clearances equal to a military top secret.My health has been used to unjustly profile me and a permit by state and probably federal people to do whatever they want to.My life has been destroyed.Forgive me for even mentioning this.I am sorry ! Thanks,Heartbeat85

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:00 AM

Public acess networks are just that PUBLIC everyone can see everyone. That's why you dont do online banking on your coffee shop wireless. Your motel has a router that's allready one link between you and the internet. However there is no telling what type of security they are using between you and the router. It will be near impossible to secure the network your on since its a public access network. Once you are connected to their network you are sharing it with everone else. Your information can be picked off by anyone using the network that knows what they are looking for. You could put another router between your pc and the ethernet jack in your room. Set up the router on a different network then the hotel. For example if the hotel gives you an ip address of 192.168.1.100 you want your router to create a network on 192.168.3.1 this will stop any outside atempts to access your computer from the hotel network and still allow you to connect to the hotel router. However once your data is transmitted onto the hotel network its up for grabs. Your computer would also need an ethernet port unless the router supports usb connection. Posted from my Android cellphone.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 16 July 2011 - 02:02 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users